Question

Top Student
Cander
Message 1 of 5 (749 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Slimline s3307c Network adapter not working

The network adapter stopped working, cord is good, light not flashing, no light on showing active,  no changes to pc, driver says working properly,  tried uninstalling the Nvid1Anforce drivers then reinstall, did not fix,  This happen once before and I took it to BB, they ran a few tests and said the adapter was bad, bought external adapter, did not install and hooked up pc for one last try  and the adapter worked.   Tried disabling the on board adapter then rebooted, then shut down and reenabled adapter, driver installed but still not functioning. 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (723 Views)

Re: HP Slimline s3307c Network adapter not working

[ Edited ]

Which operating system is installed?

Have you gone into the Device manager to see if the driver is still shown as working and is enabled?

The following image is in Windows 7 OS but it is almost identical to what you should see in a Vista OS device manager.

net.GIF

What do you mean by "cord is good"?

Try another CAT5 cable to connect to your router.

If you still have the low profile external adapter go ahead and install it. Your slimline is three years +. You did say that BB tested it and said it was bad. Have you run the built in diagnostics?

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Cander
Message 3 of 5 (715 Views)

The network cable is good, works with another pc, even rebooted router, then tried hooking directly to the cable modem.   OS is Vista Home Premium,   BB wasn't sure what was wrong and thought the on board adapter was bad, that was a year ago, whatever they did with their scan fixed the problem after I brought it home and booted up, so I returned the card.  They could not get it to work when they plugged in their network cable.   The device manager screen shows what you have, says its working properly.   I ran the diagnostics for hardware and the windows network connection check, no help.  Is it possible that the firm ware for the adapter got corrupted and I even though I reinstall the drivers the actual driver install I have is corrupted? Now that I have re-installed the drivers it now shows two drivers for the card and added a "2" to the end of the name.  I thought about upgrading to 7 but thats a major event and I see that there are other problems getting things to work on the HP box.  I would have thought disabling the adapter would have forced a good driver install after booting, then rebooting with it reenabled.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (708 Views)

try removing the network adapter device and driver in the device manager. and then right-clicking any device and selecting scan for hardware changes.

The hardware diagnostics result was that it is working properly?

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Cander
Message 5 of 5 (694 Views)

Packed up box and went to BB,  set on bench and it works, tech suggested maybe bad router port or cable.  Bought a cable just in case although the old cable worked with  my notebook pc.   Hooked up, and well its working.   I've concluded that the mother board has a defect and that vibrations from  driving around with the PC in the trunk fixed the problem.    The previous ride took a round trip to fix, this time it only took the one way trip to BB.   I guess the next time I'll simply load it up in the trunk and drive around the block a few times.  I'd try gently pushing on a few chips although it might cause a complete failure.  Next time it fails I'll do some pushing on the chips.  Thanks to those who provided suggestions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation