Question

Honor Student
TheBridge
Message 1 of 6 (279 Views)

HP Slimline s5545 - upgrade graphics card with HDMI

Having purchased a HDMI monitor I was looking to upgrade from the integrated graphics to a low profile PCI express x16 graphic card that includes an HDMI connection. I am not looking to play games but just require a HDMI connection so get the benefit of watching movies and TV in HD, particularily Sky and BT Sports. I have seen on a couple of forums comments about the PSU on my PC only having 220w which will restrict the type of graphic card.

Can anyone offer any advise on whether I can upgrade and recommend any graphic cards. Would something like a Asus G210 Silent 1GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Low Profile Graphics Card be suitable??

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (270 Views)

Re: HP Slimline s5545 - upgrade graphics card with HDMI

Hi:

If you aren't going to play graphics intensive games, that card should be fine.

You can also look into the GT 610 which uses a couple of watts less power than the 210.

You can compare the specs at the links below:

GT 210:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-210/specifications

GT 610:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-610/specifications

Honor Student
TheBridge
Message 3 of 6 (234 Views)

Thanks for your response and will not be not playing graphic intensive games. 

My only confusion is with the 220w PSU I have looked at the computer spec from HP wesbite and cannot see where it states this is the figure, I have only taken this figure from other postings about my PC. Is there a way of easily checking this on my PC? 

Also the graphic cards you mention state minimum sytem power 300w (more than my 220w) am I missing something obvious here?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (222 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome.

There should be a sticker on the side of the power supply which should have the wattage listed when you open the side of the PC.

PC manufacturer's often overstate the power supply requirements for their products.

They do this to steer clear of any potential consumer claims that their graphics cards are burning out the power supplies of consumer's PC's.

When you look at the specs for either card I posted the maximum power draw is barely 30 Watts.

If you find a particular graphics card you are interested in, read the customer reviews on the card.  You will find that some of these folks are using these cards on slim tower PC's with 220W power supplies just fine.

If you still feel apprehensive about what I have written here, use this power supply calculator and it will give you a very close estimate of what wattage power supply you will need for a particular hardware setup.

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Al I can say is that if it were me, I would buy one of those cards.  I prefer the fanless cards.  No fan to conk out on you and no extra noise added to the PC (good if you plan on watching movies).

Some of the 210 and 610 cards will come with fans and some fanless.

Top Student
Inexperienced
Message 5 of 6 (174 Views)

I have the slimline and I wonder if a sapphire AMD radeon R7 250 PCI-E will fit in the case?

The case is 10cm amd the slot is about 7cm

The dimensions of the card are 240 x 290 x 70 (H x W x D)

Top Student
Inexperienced
Message 6 of 6 (161 Views)

i've just realised that i may have been better posting this on the discrete video card thread so i have posted there as well.

Sorry for the duplication!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation