Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

i would like to add an msata ssd to my system. Is it possible to plug it in the miniPCIe slot?

In the QuickSpecs of "HP Z1 G2" stood: miniPCIe/mSATA full-length

In the QuickSpecs of "HP Z1" stood: miniPCIe full-length

Maybe it is possible. Thanks for any hint.

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may also want to post your question on the HP Business Support Forum - Z workstations section.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/bd-p/bsc-272#.UzA12-lOW9I

HP Recommended

You could give it a go but I don't think the Z1 has mSATA support on the mPCIe like the G2 does. Like I said, you could give it a go.

May I ask why you want to? A good Intel SSD for example is cheaper and uses the same amount of power. There isn't really any need in a system that supports two SSD drives already, unlike a laptop for example.

HP Recommended

I agree with msata. But a pcie ssd would be worth it since it has double the speeds of a sata interface ssd. I dont see why the pcie slot would not support a ssd. The mother board does as the interconnect.

This would all have to be verified with HP though.

HP Recommended

So, is there anyone that have tried an msata ssd to miniPCIe slots? 

Or maybe the old p-ata ssds will work either? 

HP Recommended

There doesn't appear to be anyone who has. I have got a mSATA driver to test.

Again, I don't think it will work in the original Z1 and the Z1 has support for two SSDs so I'm not sure why you would need it.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't have a Z1 but I do have some thoughts for you.

The mSATA slot is limited to SATA III speeds and the typical throughput at best is between 500-600 MBPS.

The HP PCs that I have seen that are provisioned with both mSATA and mini PCI-E  slots typically reserve the mini PCI-E slot for WIFI.  The mini PCI-E slots are at best are x2 which at best would produce a throughput of 1000 MBPS.  It might be slower if only x1.

If you are into performance, then the m.2 slot technology with NVMe support might be a good choice or one of the newer PCI-E x4 cards such as the Intel 750 SSD.  This SSD really smokes.

I am currently using a m.2 SSD and move it between the m.2 slot and PCI-E slot using an PCI-E adapter.

When choosing a SSD, consider its use.  Do you want random access performance or sequential performance.  Some are better at one function compared to the other.  Do some research.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I already have a raid 0 configuration with two HP (intel) SSDs (2x180GB) but i wonder if a can have some more internal space using the spare miniPCIe slots.

I don't have an mSata SSD and i can not afford to buy one just for trying!

I have read that an mSata ssd fits perfectly in a miniPCIe slot but the electrical circuit might be different.

HP Z1 G2 model is supposed to officially support mSata SSDs, but... what is the real difference with our HP Z1 model?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The Intel Chipset on the motherboard will pretty much dictate the use of the mini PCI-E slot.

What is the product number for your Z1?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I am sorry but I am not sure understood you... 

This is my product:  http://m.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetHTML.aspx?docname=c04111467&ver=21

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.