Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Been having a bit of an issue with my 780m. I get a message saying " Windows kernel Mode driver 337.50 Stopped responding and has successfully recovered " when i play Microsoft Flight Simulator X but this only happened recently after i installed FTX Global. Other than that, my Z1 has been solid as well as the 780m
HP Recommended

@RogerWilco wrote:

Good news. If it works, don't bother removing the shim.

Using GPU-Z, my 770M (a bit overlclocked) is between 48-55C idle and up to 92C in Crysis 3 maxed out. I have the Z1 system fans on the lowest though.

I couldn't leave well enough alone...  I pulled the heatsink, took out the card, put it in the freezer for a while, and was finally able to knock the shim off (the epoxy becomes brittle when frozen)!

Now I have a good paste job where the temps will drop back to appx 44C at idle after running 3DMARK11.  Graphics Score=3799 at default clock on the k4000m if anyone is interested.

@RogerWilco - How are you able to adjust the Z1 system fans?

HP Recommended

Nice! I don't use 3DMARK or anything else like that - can't see the point at stressing it like that. I use Fraps and turn on the FPS counter. Do you have Crysis 2/3 to test with?

I believe you can turn the fans up in the BIOS? Not sure, I haven't checked since the build before HP added full power support for the 680M (early-mid last year-ish).

@Chelseaman08

Sounds like it is just a driver issue. Does in only happen in Flight Simulator? That is a few years old now so that could be the issue. I wouldn't worry at all.

HP Recommended
Yeah just when im flight simming
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes, that will be fine. I don't think it has thermal pads on it but MXM cards come with them + they are cheap. They retail from HP Parts in Australia for $212 so that is a bargin.

You can get the same one for the same $90 here too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z1-Graphic-Cooling-Unit-W-No-Video-Card-New-671195-001-/390853628667?pt=U...

HP Recommended

i have two z1 heatsink modules available for sale, in like new condition, one may need thermal tape iirc, not sure, will let go for $75 each + $10 s&h, i'm in nothern california, pm me if interested, btw will only ship within the u.s....

HP Recommended

Hi,

Is anyone knows the Part Number for the heatsink that goes on top of MXM card? 

http://www.alancomputech.com/hp-z1-graphic-cooling-unit-no-video-card-new-671195-001-671195-001.html

HP Recommended
I'm guessing that plate should be included with the mxm cooling unit as it is proprietary.
HP Recommended

ALL the bits you need to add a MXM GPU to the Z1 are in the heatsink unit. That is the only part you need.

You may need some thermal paste and thermal pads which usually come with the card.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.