Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm yet to purchase a Z1 and before I spend thousands on one I'd like to know if I purchase the lower-end machine with no graphics, does it have the fan/heatsink ready for a card?

I'm going to get a Quadro card later down the track so I'd like to know if these fans are present and ready?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anyone else wanting the same information, the 682305-001 is the black plastic cover containing the heatsink + fan blower.

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64
HP Recommended

It appears that the MXM 500m/1000m/3000m/4000m options must be ordered with the computer and are not available separately. It also appears that different MXM Quadro cards require different HSF assemblies. From this I would guess there is no HSF assembliy included with a non-MXM / integrated graphics only model.

Pieced together from these sources;

HP Z1 Quick Specs

HP Z1 Workstation - Spare Parts

HP PartSurfer - Z1 WORKSTATION BASE UNIT - A1H69AV

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.

Is it possible to purchase the 682305-001 heatsink for the 3000/4000m from HP?

Also is the 682307-001 fan assembly for the MXM, IE; the plastic housing too? The page is not clear exactly.

Thanks again for the help.

HP Recommended

682304-001  is a Processor (GPU) fan/heat sink assembly

682305-001  is a Processor (GPU) fan/heat sink assembly 

677907-001  is a NVIDIA Quadro 500M PCIe x16 1GB DDR3 memory, 128-bit wide interface graphics card - Max Power Consumption of 35 Watts (Graphics Sub-System) (USES 682304-001)

677908-001  is a NVIDIA Quadro 1000M PCIe x16 2GB DDR3 memory, 128-bit wide interface graphics card - Max Power Consumption of 45 Watts (Graphics Sub-System) (USES 682304-001)

677909-001  is a NVIDIA Quadro 3000M PCIe x16 2GB GDDR5 memory, 256-bit wide interface graphics card - Max Power Consumption of 75 Watts (Graphics Sub-System) (USES 682305-001)

677910-001  is a NVIDIA Quadro 4000M PCIe x16 2GB GDDR5 memory, 256-bit wide interface graphics card - Max Power Consumption of 100 Watts (Graphics Sub-System) (USES 682305-001)

682307-001 appears to be the system/case fan assembly

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Thanks again for the help + part list.

What I'm really after is the black plastic MXM cover that holds the MXM, fan + heatsink.

It is on the left next to the PSU. With regards to the Quadro 4000M, is this part 682305-001 then fan, heatsink + the black plastic part?

HP Recommended

Anyone else wanting the same information, the 682305-001 is the black plastic cover containing the heatsink + fan blower.

HP Recommended

a little late to the party but...

1. if a z1 is purchased without a graphics card, it will not come with the hsf module (graphics card heat sink / fan enclosure). however this module can be purchased separately, either directly from hp or other sources, should you want to add a card in the future, it runs about $100.

2. hp lists two hsf modules, with differing part numbers,  available for the z1 - one for the smaller type-a mxm cards and one for the slightly larger type-b mxm cards. i have purchased both and they are identical units even tho they come with different part number decals attached - same size, same fan specs, they are the same unit. the only difference is that the hsf module for the slightly larger type-b mxm cards comes with a little more thermal tape attached, to cover the larger type-b card, but this tape can easily be purchased cheaply anywhere. i mention this for those who currently have type-a cards in their z1 but want to upgrade to type-b cards - you can just buy the card and use your current hsf module, no need to drop $100 on another hsf module.

3. fwiw i replaced the quadro 1000m card that came with my z1 unit with a geoforce gtx 675m card, and my system is running with no problems.

HP Recommended

Thanks Aeneas1. I've figured it out too.

I'vr got a 680M running just fine. For anybody else, any Nividia card will work but not AMD. AMD cards have a larger X bracket. The HP heatsink/spreader plate that holds the cards into place has a built in X which when put on an AMD card covers a bunch of SMD transistors and won't sit correctly.

HP Recommended

hey there rw, nice to see that a fellow z1 owner has also had success installing an "unsupported" card into their z1, especially given a lot of misinformation out there suggesting that it's probably not possible, which seems to be almost entirely based on speculation as opposed to actual trial and error imo.

i was originally interested in the 680m as well, primarily due to its new architecture and by extension lower tdp (vs the 675m), but was reluctant to pull the trigger at the time given the unkowns and bad info - so i went with the 675m instead because it looked like it would easily meet my needs and it was a relatively cheap risk at $250 shipped vs the 680m which was fetching about $500-$700 at the time.

did you have to jump through hacked ini fle hoops to get your card to work? this seemed to be the predominant mindset a while back, that unsupported cards required some file hacking (or bios hacking) in order to work. my install experience was a trial and error process, but now that i know how to do it or, better said, now that i know what not to do, it would be a pretty easy and straightforward process if i ever do it again. i used nvidia's recent 314.22 notebook driver release which supports a lot of different nvidia notebook cards, including the 675m and the 680m, did you use these drivers as well?

btw, have you checked out your z1 temps using hwmonitor? not surprisingly, like notebooks, aio computers tend to run a little hotter than desktops from what i understand. here are my readings, can you post yours? they were higher before i went into the bios and adjusted the system fan speeds (one global setting), when my system arrived the setting was set to the lowest possible, never heard any fans, wondered if theye were even kicking. i moved the setting about 3 notches to the right after installing my 675m and it dropped my temps considerably, and when the fans kick on they are barely audible.

0423.jpg

btw i recently posted about my install process in the hp buisness forum:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/HP-Z1-quot-Unsupported-quot-Graphics-Ca...

HP Recommended

re amd mxm cards, the x-bracket on the back can be removed afaik, which would allow them to fit into a z1 hsf module, assuming the amd xm cards have the same dimensions as typical type-a and/or type-b mxm cards, which i think they do. when i purchased my 675m it came with a steal x-bracket attached to it, which i removed, it takes a little patience because they are mounted with some pretty strong glue (or two-sided tape), just pull firmly, evenly, and carefully and off it comes without leaving a sticking residue. now will amd drivers play nice with a z1 system? don't know.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.