Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yep, same image prob? Post the link instead? All I see is a square with a yellow warning triangle.

HP Recommended

1400204402353.jpg

Don't know why the pic didn't show up.  Anyway, the small copper square is smaller than the new GPU.  Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

No probs.

What is the smaller copper square though? Are we talking about the HP heastink unit?

HP Recommended

I'll try to upload a link later if it still doesn't show.  On my phone.

Edit.  At home now.  The images seem to be showing on my pc.  Anyway, now that I have the full use of a keyboard.\,  🙂

I am using the heatsink from the Quadro 1000m that came with my z1.  When I removed the 1000m card there was a little copper shim attached to the heatsink.  I didn't see this shim in any of the videos/pictures.  I probably wouldn't worry about it if it was larger than the k4000m gpu but it's smaller.

I'll see if I can pry it off and just use a good gob of thermal paste.

HP Recommended

are you talking about the outlined area?

q4000 04.jpg

HP Recommended

@aeneas1 wrote:

are you talking about the outlined area?

q4000 04.jpg

Edit:  Now I can see your picture.  Yes that is the area, but on my heatsink there is a raised copper shim area.

Lol, now I can't see the picture.  I tried to upload it onto the hp forum.  Hopefully now you can see it.  🙂

5486847585146.jpg

HP Recommended

Ahh, the images show now. Not sure what that shim is - beats me.

I'd remove it probably (if it can be). I've never seen one in a Z1 heatsink module before and plenty of cards here work fine without it.

Just remove it and install the card as per normal.

OR just a thought; is your HP heatsink module the newer version from the Z2?

HP Recommended
I didn't have any luck getting the shim of on first try. I was eager to make sure the card worked, so I installed it with good coverage of thermal paste. I think I'll try again once I get some new thermal pads.

Everything went well and the drivers installed fine for my dell k4000m. What are the typical gpu temps under benchmarking that you guys are seeing?
HP Recommended

Good news. If it works, don't bother removing the shim.

Using GPU-Z, my 770M (a bit overlclocked) is between 48-55C idle and up to 92C in Crysis 3 maxed out. I have the Z1 system fans on the lowest though.

HP Recommended
Seems like the k4000m is very underclocked. 41c idle 64c during benchmark. Now to replace the 3.5hdd with a ssd. Wish i could use a mSata and keep the 3.5, but not willing to buy a mSata card to test.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.