Question

Honor Student
malone
Message 1 of 5 (5,275 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP desktop m9077c - access to expansion bay to add a hard drive

Hello friends,

I am trying to add a new hard drive in to the open hard drive bay . I am struggling to get access to the bay. Can some body mail me or give me pointersto info on how to open this desk top? I was able to open ip the side panel and found the power/data connectors for my SATA drive!

Is there a way to remove the front panel - which may give better access?

thanks for any help!

-malone

PS: I initially posted this in laptop forum by mistake, so reposting into desktop.

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 2 of 5 (5,258 Views)

Re: HP desktop m9077c - access to expansion bay to add a hard drive

You don't need to get the front off, just open the side panel, the existing HDD is inside a drive cage which houses the PDM bat, the original HDD, and an empty slot. This drive cage is secured by 2 philips and a spring tab on the chasis, you will need to remove the 2 philips and use something to press down on the spring tab to release the entire cage, need to wiggle it a bot to free it but be careful about the wires coming off the HDD & the PMD bay.

The little diagram etched on the cage shows to use a long flathead screw driver to press the spring tab, but I would use something like a disposable chopstick or pencil.

Honor Student
malone
Message 3 of 5 (5,243 Views)

Sclui56,

Thanks for the reply. It did give me hope  :smileyhappy:

There are couple screws on the top (housing media bay). Are these the ones you are talking about? HDD drive cage is below this media bay casing. But looks like both are connected/welded together some how. Also I couldn't find the spring tab that needs to be pressed. All see is the current HDD top label if I look down.

thank you!

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 4 of 5 (5,248 Views)

[ Edited ]

See if pp. 17 will help. The HDD & PMD are housed in a single cage, and you do not need to remove the front bezel to gain access, but if you have a PMD in the bay, eject that first.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01457519.pdf

Just be careful when lifting the cage because there may be some wiring for the WiFi & HDD LED's close by.
Message Edited by sclui56 on 11-07-2009 09:58 PM
Honor Student
malone
Message 5 of 5 (5,209 Views)

Hi Sclui56,

Thanks a bunch! This picture from the PDF gave me all the info needed and I was able to put it in place and started using it. Some how I never got that manual with box.

best regards,

-malone!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation