Question

Honor Student
social_lube
Message 1 of 6 (14,601 Views)

HP desktop won't boot; loud fan

Hi, everyone. 

My sister is having boot problems w/ an HP Pavilion a750y that she had purchased back in 2004.  When the computer is switched on, the fan runs very loudly but nothing else appears to happen on the monitor (everything is plugged in correctly).  Also, the lights on the CD & DVD drive flash but the blue light on the power button is not on.  On the rare occasions when we can get the computer to boot correctly, sometimes it will freeze (either on its own or when the tower is moved or bumped even slightly) and we have to conduct a hard shutdown.

I'm no expert at troubleshooting but could this be hard drive or motherboard problems?  If so, which one?  Any info or help would be useful to us.

The specs:

HP Pavilion a750y

Intel Pentium 4

Windows XP Professional

Maxtor hard drive (250 Gb of memory)

Thank you in advance.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 6 (14,580 Views)

Re: HP desktop won't boot; loud fan

Start with the basics.

1.Unplug the PC

2.Open the case and clean out the dust bunnies. Pay close attention to clean around the processor. If you use air.DO NOT let the fans spin freely.

3.Remove and reinstall the memory,video card(if applicable) and reseat all cables.

4.Leave the cover off and start the PC up.

5. Make sure both fans are turning.

6. Look on the back to see if the power supply light is a solid green or flashing.

Let us know what you find.

Honor Student
social_lube
Message 3 of 6 (14,553 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  Unplugged the PC, thoroughly cleaned out the inside of the case w/ air, and removed/reinstalled/reseated as you instructed.  The power supply light is solid green and, when the PC is switched on, all of the fans spin (even the one on the video card).  Still no boot up though.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 6 (14,591 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did you look to see if it had onboard video also?

Did you remove the internal battery to reset it?

Unless the video card is bad you are probably looking at a bad power supply(even if it seems to be working) or motherboard. Look inside and see if there are any bad capacitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 02-08-2009 12:10 AM
Honor Student
social_lube
Message 5 of 6 (14,519 Views)

Yeah, it's got onboard video but it appears to me that it's never really been used (the adapter socket still has a black cap over it).  The internal battery has also been removed and tested w/ another battery.  And I took your suggestion and looked for bad capacitors on the motherboard and the video card but I didn't see any signs of capacitor plague in my inspections.

Maybe you're right about the problem being either the power supply, the video card, or even the motherboard itself.  Unfortunately, I don't have any working spares lying around to see which one it is.  I'll have to get back to you about this after I've bummed some of these parts from friends.  Thanks again.

Student
mzambono
Message 6 of 6 (1,944 Views)

I just fixed mine and here is what I did:

1)open the case

2) remove the add-on video card

3) remove, dust and replace the RAM

4) remove the CMOS battery, count to 10 and replace it

5) clean the dust from side of the power supply that faces in to the center of the computer (pivot it up slightly)

6) only have the minimum peripherals plugged in (keyboard, mouse and on-board video only)

7) close the case and power on

Now it boots and runs fine.  (NB. you will have to set the time and date)

Plug your peripherals back in- driver installs may launch- just follow thru.

I highly suspect it was the video- you can try that step alone if you like.

-M

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation