Question

Honor Student
protheo
Message 1 of 5 (181 Views)

HP gt7725 black screen after graphic card upgrade

Hi

I have an gt7725 nettop with PCI-E expansion module. I've recently bought a graphic card (PCI-E 1.0 x16 Nvidia NVS 290) to install it as a replacement fo onboard graphic card. After plugin the card to PCI-E port I have no boot, no bios screen only a blinkin cursor in the top left corner and nothing happens. I can not go to bios setting because it does not gos that far (i don't even see a hp logo with press f10 to go to bios screen). When i detache pci-e expansion module from gt7725 and plug monitor to onboard graphic card port everything works fine.

I've check this card on anther computer (desktop pc) and it works just fine. Then I borrowed another graphic card Geforce 9500GT also PCI-E x16 and try with this card. All looks the same (does not work either) with one difference. Instead of this single blinking cursor in the top left corner i can see full details of this 9500gt card like version number, memory amount etc. and blinkin cursor at the bottom of this info message.

I have no more ideas on what is wrong could anyone please help me with this issue?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (163 Views)

Re: HP gt7725 black screen after graphic card upgrade

[ Edited ]

The systemboard has integrated AMD RS780G integrated graphics (ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics)  and that is what is meant to be used.

"When i detache pci-e expansion module from gt7725 and plug monitor to onboard graphic card port everything works fine."  That is how it is supposed to operate.

The only optional graphics device is  the ATI Fire MV 2250 (PCI Express x16) 

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
protheo
Message 3 of 5 (151 Views)

Thank you for this replay. What i have im mind right now is what's the point of having pci-e expansion module without possibility of pluging in pci-e graphic card other than this one you specified. If this card is the only one that works what is the point of building entaire module for it :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
PLung
Message 4 of 5 (149 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't really buy that answer either.  The point in having modular points is the make it easier to modify.  So if HP wants to sell for slightly higher they add-in a graphics card and say "look it has a separate graphics card!".  That being said, it's been awhile since I've changed graphics cards.  If I remember correctly, you're supposed to install the driver first, shut down, put it in and reboot.  Now lets say you've done that and you're having the problem you described.  Please plug into the integrated motherboard graphics, while your card is in the PCI-e slot, and see if you can see a bios.  Sometimes, when you remove hardware it will revert to the motherboards.  In the bios you should find a spot to make a PCI-e card the primary graphics.  If you can't see anything after switching between motherboard and graphics card ports for video then I recommend you check to make sure your new graphics card is in completely.  Sometimes you have to a apply a bit of force to get it in completely.  Ideally you should see no gold from the connector, or at least very little.  Make sure the card is level with the slot.  You should see the exact same amount in the slot from different lengths of the card.  If it still doesn't work, you may want to try the card in another computer because it may be DOA.

Honor Student
protheo
Message 5 of 5 (141 Views)

Hi,

Many thanks for Your reply. I did the drivers instalation first but this not have done the trick.

Please plug into the integrated motherboard graphics, while your card is in the PCI-e slot, and see if you can see a bios - no nothing happend the only difference is that I have nothing on the monitor (signal lost, etc.) when I reconnect the cable back to external graphic card port I still see thie blinking cursor.

Sometimes, when you remove hardware it will revert to the motherboards.  In the bios you should find a spot to make a PCI-e card the primary graphics - no bios setting for this only enable external pci - done that nothing change (no option to disable onboard graphic card)

Sometimes you have to a apply a bit of force to get it in completely.  Ideally you should see no gold from the connector, or at least very little - try that too, everything seems to fit correctyl and no gold sticking out of PIC-E slot.

If it still doesn't work, you may want to try the card in another computer because it may be DOA. - yeah try that on desktop pc. When card is connected to other motherboard everything is ok (boot, os load correctly).

I think that he was right, this just could be the marketing trick to move you closer to buy this "wonderfull piece of technology" (not to say otherwise)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation