Question

Honor Student
mjak01
Message 1 of 3 (5,326 Views)

HP m8200n Motherboard Replacement

Hello.  I have an HP Media PC m8200n which will no longer boot up.  I have confirmed that I do have power to the fans and the Personal Media Drive, however, my hard drive does not seem to spin up and I do not get a blue light on the power butten when the PC is running.  After spending many hours online chatting with HP support, they had me reseat  the CMOS battery and the memory.  that appeared to fix the problem, but after a restart, I'm experiencing the same issues again.  HP Support said that they believe it is a motherboard issue and that it should be replaced.

I'm looking to replace this myself.  This PC uses the MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) motherboard which is pretty old, but I have found some on eBay (out of China).  Through my research, I've found out about HP "tattooing" motherboards.

So I have a few questions:

1.  If I replace with the same type of motherboard, do I need to worry about the motherboard tattoo?

2.  If not, is the repair as simple as replacing the motherboard, reconnecting all the internal components and booting up?  Will I need to replace drivers, etc?

3.  If I go with a different, compatible motherboard, will i have to purchase a new copy of the OS or can I somehow use the version I have?

Any advise and help would be appreciated.....

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 3 (5,309 Views)

Re: HP m8200n Motherboard Replacement

mjak01 wrote:

Hello.  I have an HP Media PC m8200n which will no longer boot up.  I have confirmed that I do have power to the fans and the Personal Media Drive, however, my hard drive does not seem to spin up and I do not get a blue light on the power butten when the PC is running.  After spending many hours online chatting with HP support, they had me reseat  the CMOS battery and the memory.  that appeared to fix the problem, but after a restart, I'm experiencing the same issues again.  HP Support said that they believe it is a motherboard issue and that it should be replaced.

I'm looking to replace this myself.  This PC uses the MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) motherboard which is pretty old, but I have found some on eBay (out of China).  Through my research, I've found out about HP "tattooing" motherboards.

So I have a few questions:

1.  If I replace with the same type of motherboard, do I need to worry about the motherboard tattoo?

2.  If not, is the repair as simple as replacing the motherboard, reconnecting all the internal components and booting up?  Will I need to replace drivers, etc?

3.  If I go with a different, compatible motherboard, will i have to purchase a new copy of the OS or can I somehow use the version I have?

Any advise and help would be appreciated.....

First, I suggest being extremely cautious when buying any computer components from China.  Most of them are knock-offs.  You have no idea what you are getting.  You'll be lucky if they work at all.

1) Yes.  For your Recovery Discs to work, the motherboard must have the tattoo.

2) See 1).

3) If the version that you have is on the Recovery Discs, then, you would have to buy a full copy of the OS.  You can't install separate programs or the OS from them.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (5,278 Views)

Re: HP m8200n Motherboard Replacement

Thanks for the response.  I just have a few more questions to clarify.

Taking your advice, I was able to find a replacement motherboard of the same make/model in the US.  Once I replace the bad motherboard with this new one, will I still have to use the recovery disks to get my system back up and running. I though recovery disks were used when installing a replacement hard drive.  I was assuming that since the hard drive appears to be fine, once I reconnect all the components to the new motherboard that I would just be able to boot from the hard drive and everything would come up as normal.  No need for the recovery disks or reloading the OS.  Am I incorrect in this assumption?

Thanks again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation