03-05-2011 07:51 PM
Hello! I have tried to install a second SATA hard drive in my m9340f with no success. It is a 2 TB SATA drive, so it should be compatible, but on power up the system doesn't even go to past POST. No BIOS screen or errors messages. When I disconnect and remove the new drive, the system is back to normal.
Anyone have any success installing second drives in this HP model? This is the first additional SATA drive I have ever put into a system, so am I missing a step?
This question was solved. View Solution.
03-05-2011 08:34 PM
Bill, welcome to the forum.
Here is a guide that will help you install the HDD. The only suggestion that I have is to assure the jumper setting is correct. I believe all new HDD's have Cable Select. This is normally the recommended setting.
- 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 9
HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0
HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate
HP Photosmart 7520 AIO
|**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**|
Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!
I am not an HP employee.
03-06-2011 09:26 AM
Which Sata slot on the motherboard are you using for the new drive? The Boot drive's slot is the first slot.
Cable Select is a hold-over from the PATA EIDE era, and Sata drives do not have this. The only jumper, if any, on a Sata drive would be for Sata1 (1.5Gb rate). That is not necessary for your machine.
You can render both Solution and KUDO
The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
03-06-2011 02:56 PM
Thanks to all for the rapid responses!
I was able to solve this issue by taking two actions:
1) I applied an update to my BIOS.
2) I switched to a different manufacturers drive. A Hitachi 2TB drive did not work, but a Western Digital one work flawlessly on the first attempt. This was with the same cable and motherboard connection which did not work for the Hitachi.
Please mark this issue as resolved.