Question

Top Student
deadHPPavilion
Message 1 of 6 (11,303 Views)

HP won't let me use DMI utility for tattooing new components to lemon 4 month old Pavilion!

I just had a Pavilion d5000t Core 2 Quad go down on me big time.  I have spent over three weeks researching options to fix and get my data back on components that HP knew were bad but sold them anyway.  I had a mobo, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.11 drive, and one stick of RAM go bad all at once.  After repeated contacts with HP tech support no one will allow me access to the DMI Utility to tattoo the info to be able to use the OS I purchased with this system even after I purchased all the components I needed.  $200-250 for 5 minutes of work is ridiculous.  I have been working on my own computers for 28 years until I get to this roadblock of HP starting to extort money from me for doing my own repair. 

I will get the DMI Utility from someone and the passwords to open them to use on my computer.  If HP does not help in this option to help me, I will let folks know in all my outlet options to disseminate info that does HP no good......I suggest that you email me to assist in this fix.  I am not pleased with HP -- you used to be a good company....... 

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 6 (11,300 Views)

Re: HP won't let me use DMI utility for tattooing new components to lemon 4 month old Pavilion!

Only HP Technicians do the tattooing part as far as I know.

I believe there might be a way last I checked but It may not work as I haven't tested this. Besides Recovery may not work if motherboard/hard drive are changed from the original one.

I believe you can write the dmi information to the hard drive by putting in Recovery Disc 1 for that pc and at boot up hold down or press Control+ backspace for advanced menu then option 1 or 2 should be write dmi information.

Not sure about the motherboard tattoo info being flashed to bios or what not since I've never done this myself.

I wish you best of luck on this and hope the pc works as it should.

Is it still in it's warranty period with hp?

Top Student
deadHPPavilion
Message 3 of 6 (11,292 Views)

Re: HP won't let me use DMI utility for tattooing new components to lemon 4 month old Pavilion!

Thanks for the info about the cntrl+backspace..... I appreciate it.......I didn't know about that option under the recovery disks......

When I use your suggestion above, I get an advanced options (F8) a screen that has 11 options for loading info from the recovery disks....

I tried the safe mode, enable boot logging, and disable driver signature modes (3 out of the 11) and get the same message -- recovery disks are not able to be used on this PC.....

I'm pretty sure I need a tattoo utility for both the mobo and new disk drive but HP won't let me use it.....only for techies.....I guess I don't quality even though I have a Ph.D. in engineering.....

Thanks for the offer to help.......as you can tell, I am frustrated.......!!!

Student
dunewood
Message 4 of 6 (10,997 Views)

[ Edited ]

I wonder if HP discloses at the time of sale of their HP computers, that if their computer fails due to a hard drive going bad, that you cannot use the emergency disks which you made in case of a catastrophic failure, unless you buy a replacement hard drive (for a garden variety replacement drive available at regular prices elsewhere) directly from HP for a significant premium.

My one year old Pavillion Elite desktop, for which I made replacement disks, is useless due to a hard drive going south. HP support said I must replace a 540 MB Seagate SATA drive by buying it from them for 279.00 When I told them I could buy a one Tb Seagate SATA drive from the same vender from whom I bought the computer from for about 135.00 they said I could only buy the replacement from them because they "tatoo" the motherboard and hard drive of their systems so that no emergency disks will work should a hard drive go bad, unless you buy the replacement ( an otherwise ordinary SATA drive) from them.

I understand what they are seeking to protect however, there's got to be a better solution that hurting a consumer this way.<text deleted>

Message Edited by WendyM on 09-18-2009 09:13 PM
Honor Student
jstiltner
Message 5 of 6 (5,980 Views)

I've run into the same problem  had to replaced M/B and hard drive bought installation disks and get the not compatible with this system error when trying to load windows HP wanted to charge me to trouble shoot my hard drive even tho I told them that I have two to use and neither will work I don't know what has happened to HP but I will never buy another HP product after this escapade

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 6 (5,966 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

HP uses "tattoos" to prevent the OEM license from migrating to other PCs.

The "tattooing" of the hard drive is an old method that is no longer used in the newer PCs.

Most authorized HP repair shops do have access to DMI hard drive tools and can also tattoo the motherboard.

Microsoft attaches the Windows license to the motherboard. Microsoft may or may not reactivate the Windows license for a replacement motherboard and at times has contradicted itself on the policy.  You have to purse this with Microsoft.  Sometimes MS is lenient when the motherboard is replaced and an exact replacement can't be obtained.

HP is not so lenient with the HP Recovery Disks.  The information written into the motherboard must match with the information contained in the recovery disks.  A third party imaging tool used on day one to image the system will help avoid the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation