Hard Drive Replacement for Pavilion a1410n. (672 Views)
Honor Student
nannysroses
Message 1 of 5 (672 Views)
Accepted Solution

Hard Drive Replacement for Pavilion a1410n.

I have the Pavilion a1410n  desktop computer. Only changes that has been done is upgrading the memory to 3GB.

The hard drive in the computer , which is a 200 GB (SATA)has been restored several times which is not giving me much space left. I am wanting to replace the hard drive with a larger one. What is the largest I can go with, without causing a lot of issues? Can I put a 500 GB or more in this computer?  

I have the restore disk that I ordered for this computer back when I bought it. So I should not have any problems with the drivers and such. Am I right in assuming that if I let the restore disk do their work, that it will configure the drive partitions and everything?

PLEASE can someone answer me back on this as soon as possible. I need to get this computer back up and running ASAP.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (643 Views)

Re: Hard Drive Replacement for Pavilion a1410n.

Hi:

You should be able to go up to a 640 GB SATA with no issues.  I am not sure if your PC can run a SATA II drive at that speed (3.0 GB/S) or it will only run at the regular SATA speed. You may have to jumper a SATA II hard drive to run at the 1.5 GB/s SATA speed, and so the SATA controller on your PC even recognizes it. 

So, look up the user guide on any new hard drive you buy on the manufacturer's and make sure you know what to do if you install it and your PC doesn't "see" it. Most of the manufacturers show the jumper setting for different situations.

Your restore disk should do everything--reimage the PC like the day it came from the factory. I believe it will create one large partition.

Paul

Honor Student
nannysroses
Message 3 of 5 (641 Views)

Thank you so much for the quick answer.  I have never put a hard drive in before so I really don't need no problems, with the SATA speed. (NOW THAT SCARES ME)

The 200 GB hard drive that is in there does still work, it is just that it is only showing : Drive C=Total Size 174GB, Free Space 155GB.........RECOVERY DRIVE D= Total 11.7GB with Free Space 4.63GB. ( So that is only a total size of 185.7GB instead of 200GB) WHY??? As you know windows updates always puts alot of updates in computers,(I believe more than necessary sometimes). And I was going to install Word,Excell, PowerPoint, and Outlook in it also.

I have always put it back to factory settings with the restore disk for one reason or the other. Each time though I seem to loose GB's...Can you tell me why that is? Is there a way I can totally clean the hard drive off back to the clean 200 GB, and then put the restore disk in and run it to partition and all. Factory Settings is XP Media Center SP1 - I believe- So I then have to update to SP2, then SP3. That is alot of Windows updates.

Can you please advise me on this.....and Thank you again for your quick response

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 5 (633 Views)

Hi:

I don't know the answer to any of your questions except to say that no hard drive (at least using Windows) ever has it's total size available.  And the bigger the hard drive, there seems to be a bigger chunk of unusable space.

From what you reported, you still have a lot of free space available. Once your hard drive becomes 60 - 70% full, then it is time to look for a bigger one.

Also, please note that if you do install a bigger hard drive, you will not be able to put the recovery partition on it.

An alternate idea for you would be to install a new hard drive in addition to the one you have, and use it to store your files, photos, music, etc. on, and you can just keep your original one for the operating system and programs.

You will need to make sure if you do that, that you purchase a hard drive that comes with a SATA data cable.

There should be another SATA power cable to hook it up to, and you would plug the data cable into the SATA port labeled SATA1.

Just make sure you have an available drive slot to install it and screws or whatever is needed to mount the drive inside the case.

To assist you in doing this, I have attached the link to your upgrading and servicing guide, which will give you step by step instructions on how to open the case and install various components including hard drives.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00311110.pdf

Paul

Tutor
drfrisker
Message 5 of 5 (172 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok guys my external HD box was knocked over last night, and I'm sure one of the two is still good.
this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00647121

shows that there are 4 sata ports on the mobo, but the spec's and feature list say there are only two. In the case that both of my externals survive, Can I add both to the system if i give them power?

Also,  can you shed any light as to jumper the secondary drives to reduce their speed to the mobo? The main sata drive i have in the 1410n isn't jumpered at all, so it's set at 3.0Gb/s

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation