Question

Honor Student
doob64
Message 1 of 8 (13,795 Views)

Hard disk failure is imminent

my computer come up with an error on startup that a hard disk failure is imminent. Diagnostics provide an error code "BIOHD-9" this PC is one week out of warranty HELP!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 8 (13,793 Views)

Re: Hard disk failure is imminent

[ Edited ]

Get your data backed up and be sure that you burn set of the HP Recovery DIsks.

What model HP PC and you using?

Is the hard drive made by Seagate?  If yes, then you might want to check the Seagate web site for a firmware update.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
doob64
Message 3 of 8 (13,778 Views)

Its a Compaq Presario CQ3060AN. How do I foud out if it's a Seagate.

Thanks

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 8 (13,760 Views)

Open "Device Manager" and look under disk drives.  It will tell make and size.  If it is not a Seagate, then there is a good chance the drive will fail soon and no further explanation other than to back up your information before it fails.  Even if it is a Seagate, backup now.  Then you can try the firmware update found here:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Student
arunpharidas
Message 5 of 8 (12,253 Views)

Hi

It is the starting stage of HDD error. You can take the data backup at this stage.Take the data Back up ASAP and Replace the HDD

Tutor
pchelperdude
Message 6 of 8 (12,236 Views)

not sure if this might be the same for you... but  the M2n78-la motherboard gives that same Biohd-9 message when the motherboard is bad.(northbridge chip over heating)

Your board is the m2n68-la which has a different chipset but may still be the problem.. 

I got a high powered cpu fan off an old pc and set it on top of my northbridge chipset heatsink and this would allow me to use the pc for about 5 minutes.. you may want to try this to see if that is your issue. The chip gets so hot that it starts to fail to see the sata ports... which is what your hard drive is plugged into. Hence the hard drive failure. Your hard drive is prolly fine.. its prolly the motherboard.

Student
Locklears
Message 7 of 8 (12,165 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a similar problem.  The code that I am getting is BIOHD-7.  I was going to change the hard drive, but didn't receive a Windows 7 disc, when I purchased this PC.  I was wondering if the system image would solve my problem?  I'm not able to burn it to the hard drive and I'm not certain if my external HD will boot from it? I have burned HP Recovery Discs, but didn't know if that was all that I need.  Suggestions???

Bob Locklear
Student
ymane12
Message 8 of 8 (9,441 Views)

error when i start up harddisc failure

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation