Question

Top Student
sid71_98
Message 1 of 8 (5,480 Views)

Hard drive making noise

Greetings. 

I just got my new HP m3940f in September 2008 for my new job.  In December 2008 my hard drive is making a loud horibile sound everything it boots up and continues until I shut it down.  I stopped the two fans in the back just to make sure it wasn't a fan rubbing up against something and it wasn't it.  This is my first HP so I figured I would ask.  I also ran the hardware diagnostic and everything passed.

Thanks for your help

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 8 (5,467 Views)

Re: Hard drive making noise

Back up your files and stop using the computer.

Contact HP for a replacement drive since the computer is still under warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Top Student
sid71_98
Message 3 of 8 (5,422 Views)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I actually backed up my drive the other night and I called HP Support last night via Live Chat and I was told by them that it was a fan issue and not a hard drive issue because HP hard drives don't make noises.  When I explained that I had test the fans and had stopped them from moving to make sure the sound wasn't coming from the fan and that it was the hard drive, he repeated told me that it was a fan.  I pointed out that I had 224 days left on my warranty and would like a replacement hard drive and would send them my old one, I was told that he would have to do tests first.  Through my 2hr + fustrations, I thanked him for his time and was going to go BestBuy and see about them looking at it being they are a partner in repairs.  However, I'm going to call this time to see if I can get someone on the phone so they can hear what's happening.

Thanks again for your help.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 8 (5,404 Views)

[ Edited ]
I have a slimline that sounded like a meat grinder when surfing and using apps.It was crazy.Call them and demand the hard drive and tell them you wont ship it off to them.They always want you to ship to them for repairs.I also would bet that it's a Hitachi hard drive.They claim there's nothing wrong with them but I have seen a lot of people complaining about the same thing and when they look it's the Hitachi.Sometimes the Seagates do this also.
Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 01-12-2009 01:29 PM
Top Student
sid71_98
Message 5 of 8 (5,396 Views)

Thank you very much for your assistance.  I'm going to work on that.

Thanks!

Student
t_reidy
Message 6 of 8 (5,338 Views)

I have a MC m8120n which I purchased as a refurb on 1/3/08.  In August 2008 the computer quit working.  When I contacted HP they suggested I use the recovery disk to repair the problem.  I didn't create the recovery disk when I first started using the computer (note to all HP computer owers- create these disk as soon as you first start using your computer) and was told I could purchase these disk for $35.00.  I was somewhat outraged that these disk were not sent when I bought the computer, so I decided to have a local repair store look at it.  As it turns out, (1) of the HITACHI DESKSTAR 320GB hard drives had stopped working (I bought this computer thinking it had a single 650GB hard drive).  Also, as was explained to me at the repair store, since the hard drives were "laced together" to act as 1 hard drive, all of my files were lost.  When I contacted HP they told me there wasn't a warranty on the hard drives since I bought it as a refurb.  The hard drives were made in May 2007 and one of them failed in 15 months.  I think there might be a problem with these Hitachi hard drives.  Anyway, I purchased 2 new hard drives which are set to "mirror" each other.  Does anyone know of a way I can hook up the old hard drives to a power source and connect it to my computer with a USB cable or some other means to determine which one is bad, and if any of my files can be recovered?
Intern
Joe2Shoe
Message 7 of 8 (5,174 Views)

Just purchase a laptop USB external drive enclosure from www.newegg.com (from $12-$50).  Make your your hard drive is sata, and get a sata unit.  Just insert a drive into the enclosure, then plug in the 2 USB cables to your computer and determine if the hard drive is bad or not.
Student
Message 8 of 8 (3,082 Views)

ok. check this out. I took out the hard drive and all 4 screws that hold the HD to the case were LOOSE! Take out your hard drive and tighten all the screws connecting it to the metal case that attaches to the chassis of the laptop. This should fix the problem. 

Now if only HP would make a fan cover that could be easily removed then all would be right with the world. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation