Question

Top Student
FallGuy
Message 1 of 2 (1,187 Views)

Hard drive swap

I had a pavilion m9000t  32bit but the motherboard failed after almost 2 years.  Now I have a E9150t 64 bit both running vista home premium, How can I get all my old files off my old hard drive i.e. programs, songs, e-mail?
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 2 (1,198 Views)

Re: Hard drive swap

Hi,

There are a few options available. One strict limitation is that you cannot transfer the programs from the hard disk. That requires the programs to be installed to the OS on the new PC.

As far as transferring the data from the old hard drive the choices are as follows. 

1) install the hard disk in your new PC as a slave drive (if the disk is IDE) then transfer the data to the new disk or simply path to it

2) install the hard disk in an external hard disk enclosure (USB) plug it in and transfer the data

As far as the email goes, it depends on what email program you were using. It is different for each. Microsoft Outlook is the simplest to copy and transfer. Outlook Express is a bit of a pain. 

Transferring the songs is simple. either copy them to the drive from the external disk or if you physically installed the hard disk...just point your music playing program to them

regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation