Re: Hard drive (194 Views)
Honor Student
Herakles82
Message 1 of 3 (217 Views)
Accepted Solution

Hard drive

I have an a6512p desktop (Windows Vista, 64-bit) in which the hard drive recently failed.  The specifications for the current supplied drive are as follows:  

• Size: 500 GB
  • Interface: SATA
  • Transfer rating: 3.0 GB/sec
  • Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
My intention is to replace the drive with a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green SATA Desktop Hard Drive or a Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drive (both at 7200 RPM).  I just wanted to make sure that these were the best options for replacement (and if there was anything I might need in addition to the provided hardware to make the installation complete).
Additionally, I was told that it should be possible to retrieve some of the data files on the failed drive.  Does anyone have any idea what I might need in the way of cables, etc. to make this happen?
Any help that anyone might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Chuck Cobern
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 3 (205 Views)

Re: Hard drive

[ Edited ]

Hi Chuck,

You have a couple of options to retrieve data from a possible failed hard drive.

1. Buy an external 3.5" USB enclosure and see if the data can be accessed.
  2. Some drive manufacturers have a data recovery service.

I don't see a problem with the hard drives that you are considering as a replacement.

These HP 'how-to" articles should be helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Herakles82
Message 3 of 3 (194 Views)

Re: Hard drive

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response, it is very much appreciated.  I was sure I could do the replacement myself (it's been awhile), but I have never tried data retrieval before.

It was either doing it on my own or Staples could do it (i.e. hard drive replacement, data retrieval, etc. for about $300.  I think I would rather do it myself.

Again my deepest thanks for your aid.

Best wishes,

Chuck Cobern

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation