Hardware Diagnostics Tool (10632 Views)
Teacher
Holly2
Message 1 of 16 (10,632 Views)
Accepted Solution

Hardware Diagnostics Tool

At the end of the month the monthly scheduled Hardware Diagnostic Tool on my HP Windows Vista did the test and there were 4 tests that failed. This has never happened before as my computer has always passed all tests. My computer is only 5 months old so it is still  under warranty. I called HP but had great difficulty understanding the rep's accent. He wanted to do a system restore and if that didn't work a recovery and he said if recovery didn't work then they would send me a hard drive.  I was on the phone for over 2 1/2 hours with him so told him I would let my nephew advise me and get back to HP.  There was a long time taken trying to get a remote control connection. If anyone here has any ideas I would appreciate his/her help or ideas. My nephew will be coming over this weekend.  The tests failed were:

Random Seek Test  Error Code HD 535-5W

Funnel Seek Test Error Code HD 535-3W

Surface Scan Test Error Code HD535-2W

Surface Scan Test Error Code HD 535-2W

All the test had a warning message : There was an error getting the total number of sectors.

Holly2

Teacher
Holly2
Message 2 of 16 (10,630 Views)

Re: Hardware Diagnostics Tool

I put this in the wrong place. My computer is a desktop. I reposted it in the desktop section. Sorry.
Grad Student
sclui56
Message 3 of 16 (10,605 Views)

[ Edited ]

What is the model # of the system and the model of the HDD? Those errors are reported by the HDD's built-in monitoring system (S.M.A.R.T.) and is telling you that the drive has not passed certain self-tests.

For a 5-month old system, you should be getting a HDD replacement from HP, may be youwill have better luck on your next call to them? BTW, a sytem recovery will not correct HW errors. If you have trouble understanding the level 1 support tech, demand to escalate and be prepared to spend some time. I think the bean counters at HP are at work :smileywink:

Regardless of which route to take, it is time to backup important data if you haven't done that already.

Message Edited by sclui56 on 11-05-2009 11:09 AM
Teacher
Holly2
Message 4 of 16 (10,590 Views)

I have an HP computer model No. Slimline s3700y, Windows Vista Home Premium. Where do I find the model # of the system and the model of the HDD? 
Grad Student
sclui56
Message 5 of 16 (10,598 Views)

Right click on My Computer, select properties, slect device manager, click on disk drives. In the drop down, it should show something like

STxxxxxx or WDCxxxxx.

ONLY if it starts w/ ST, then click on that entry, you will see multiple tabs there, go to the details tab, select Hardware IDs, tell us what it says under

the first line. Reason being certain Seagate HDD has faulty F/W, so might as well verify that while you are at it.

When your nephew gets there, he can also download the free version from http://www.hdsentinel.com/dl.php, this app will give you more info on the HDD errors.

Teacher
Holly2
Message 6 of 16 (10,583 Views)

Thank you for all your help. My computer doesn't have the Seagate. I decided to email HP,as I have done at times in the past. I have better experiences sending email with the problem spelled out. I promptly received a very nice email back saying they would be sending me a hard drive at no cost. I needed to supply info concerning my address,telephone number,etc.  I have done this. They will also send directions,and my nephew said he will do the work for me. My nephew also had said as my sister and I had both thought that a system restore or recovery won't work for a hardware problem. The rep also sent me a link to go to for directions. I'm just wondering if what he sends me will have the Vista Premium Home on it or if I will need to use the recovery discs my nephew made when I first got the computer. Also wondering what caused the problem to happen. I don't want it to happen again. I will ask about this when I get the phone call from HP.

I hope others read this and schedule the Hardware Diagnostics Tool tests at least once a month-- if they have the tool.

Thanks again for your help!!

I'm glad I did the Hardware Diagnostics Tool tests every month, as I would never had known I had a problem. By the time I found out , my warranty could have been up. My sister has a HP computer with XP and says she doesn't have that Hardware Diagnostics Tool. Luckily her computer is several years old and she hasn't had any problems with hardware.

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 7 of 16 (10,570 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have seen HDD being sent in both ways, i.e. with O/S and ready to go as well as just a HDD where the user has to do a reload from recovery. You may want to ask about what they can send before the order is finalized because the different configurations have unique part numbers.

As for why you start having the errors, it is a tough call, it could be as simple as power spikes to degrading or even marginal components. It is good that your warranty is in place and HP is rather prompt in responding.

BTW, it is probably a  good time to backup important data before the replacement arrives.

Message Edited by sclui56 on 11-06-2009 03:31 PM
Teacher
Holly2
Message 8 of 16 (10,495 Views)

I just went to the Hardware part in the laptops part of the forum as I had originally posted my problem in that part by mistake. Guess what!! Someone else did the same test today, Nov.8, and that person's computer failed the same 4 tests.  I was asked if I got my problem resolved as the forum contributor  didn't want to spend all Sunday afternoon on the phone with an HP rep.  I referred the person to my posts here. This person's computer is just 6 months old so should be under warranty as mine was.
Teacher
Holly2
Message 9 of 16 (10,431 Views)

HP is shipping me a hard drive without a charge as it is still under warranty. I must return the defective one and they are supplying a prepaid shipping container. However, I did make another call to HP about my sending back the original hard drive which contains personal data. The HP rep said they will possibly be able to use the one I'm sending to them in a refurbished HP computer, but I could use a magnet to get rid of all the personal data. I know there are devices you can buy to erase data, but I don't want to go the expense of buying one of those. Does anyone know if a magnet is really effective in erasing data?
Grad Student
sclui56
Message 10 of 16 (10,416 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a new one from what HP is telling you =:smileyhappy: I sincerely hopr that's NOT an authorized practice @ the HP depots.  I generally use a wipe utility, and here is one you could use for free (Active@ KillDisk Suite (Free)v.5.1 ):

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Make sure you select the correct HDD to perform the wipe and it takes about 8 hours for a 500G HDD. I suggest you use the replacement HDD for a few days before wiping the old HDD for return, just in case there are issues with the replacement HDD.

One more thing, what is your plan in moving the data to the replacement HDD?

Message Edited by sclui56 on 11-12-2009 12:10 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation