Question

Honor Student
Alpha_Link
Message 1 of 5 (1,328 Views)

Hardware Reserved RAM Issue

[ Edited ]

I have a client who has an HP Pro 3000 SFF PC with Windows 7 x86.  He originally had 2 GB of RAM installed with his system, with Windows showing that only 1.65 GB was usable.  I just recently upgraded the RAM to 4 GB, but Windows still only shows that 1.65 GB are usuable, and the other 2.4 GB is somehow Hardware Reserved as shown in the below screenshot.

resource-mon.PNG

I made sure the BIOS is up to date (and didn't see any option to remap the memory), as well as the PCI graphics card drivers that he is using for dual monitors.  What's interesting to note is that although the graphics card has 256 MB built in, removing it frees up 1 GB to having 2.65 GB usuable, but it still doesn't account for he other 1 GB that seems to have gone rouge.  Even though it is a 32-bit system, I should have 3.65 GB shown as usuable instead of only 1.65 GB usuable out of 4 GB.

Could anyone let my in on what could possibly be causing WIndows to act like this?  Is is a BIOS RAM mapping thing?

Thanks!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (1,324 Views)

Re: Hardware Reserved RAM Issue

[ Edited ]

Hi:

There is nothing you can do to change the memory allocation in the BIOS or elsewhere. It is automatic.

There is one thing you can look for, which may be the issue. If the below isn't the issue, then it is what it is.

Run 'msconfig', click on the 'boot' tab, clicked 'advanced options', and uncheck 'maximum memory' if it is checked.

Reboot.

After the restart, you should see more usable memory.

Paul

Honor Student
Alpha_Link
Message 3 of 5 (1,314 Views)

[ Edited ]

Checked 'msconfig', and the Maximum Memory option was not checked.

Honor Student
Alpha_Link
Message 4 of 5 (1,300 Views)

But, that seems quite ridiculous that the BIOS is not cooperating like this, perhaps reseetting CMOS, forcing the BIOS to remap the memory?  I can't believe the HP would have this sort of problem with their BIOS.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 5 (1,299 Views)

You can try resetting the CMOS.

I never tried that, but I am pretty sure that isn't going to work either.

If you ever find a way to change the memory allocation, please post back, and let us know how you did it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation