Help! Novice! Screen saying I have deleted \windows\system32\config\system!?!?!?!? (450 Views)
Student
divernia
Message 1 of 3 (450 Views)

Help! Novice! Screen saying I have deleted \windows\system32\config\system!?!?!?!?

I have a problem with my PC, which is a Presario 6000.  When I turn it on the screen appears black with white writing which tells me there is a problm and I need to install /windows/system32/config/system which has been accidentally deleted.  This means absolutely NOTHING to me.  I have checked my manuals etc and cant find anything that helps.  Just thought I would ask you guys before I humuliate myself by carting it off to PC World!!!!

I must stress that any help would need to be for the idiot of the PC World.  I am ok operating it, but fixing it is another story.  Please help.  Many thanks. 

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 3 (445 Views)

Re: Help! Novice! Screen saying I have deleted \windows\system32\config\system!?!?!?!?

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 3 of 3 (430 Views)

Re: Help! Novice! Screen saying I have deleted \windows\system32\config\system!?!?!?!?

Do you have Windows XP or Windows Vista Operating System? This problem is caused by a corrupt or deleted system file that Windows needs in order to startup properly and can be fixed without taking the pc anywhere or paying someone to do it.

This problem can be fixed easily by running a System Restore from the F11 menu at pc startup (in Vista) or by running a System Recovery from the same F11 menu (in Vista). Restore will go back in time and set the computer to a previous point and Recovery will delete EVERYTHING you currently have such as programs and personal pictures and documents and will put the computer back to DAY ONE exactly how it was when you first bought ther pc brand new.

If you have Windows XP then you press F10 at pc startup for Recovery.

Do you have lots of personal documents/pictures and programs that you installed on your own?

How old is the computer?

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation