Question
Help Please: Personal Media Drive Installation
Replies (38)

Intern
Nacster
Message 11 of 39 (2,616 Views)

Re: Help Please: Personal Media Drive Installation

Wowsers!! :smileyhappy: ..I can finally breathe a sigh of relief..Thanks again for all the help sclui56 and Mister_Do..I had a chance to open up the computer today, and take a look inside for the connector piece to the Personal Media Drive..Thankfully, the connector piece with the Power Cord connection, and the USB connection was in fact sitting inside the computer..I installed the connector piece into the empty hole in the Personal Media Drive Bay, and slid in the HP Personal Media Drive, and the lights started flashing.."HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFT OFF". :smileyvery-happy:

The PMD has been automatically detected by my computer..Just wondering, do I still need do do anything if the computer already recognizes it?..Like for example install drivers, or something along those lines?..Thanks again for all the help sclui56 and Mister_Do..I really appreciate all the time, and patience the both of U put into helping me out with my problem..Have a great day to the both of U..Oh and of course, if it's not too much trouble..Can either one of U please answer my last question in regards to installing drivers, or software..That would be greatly appreciated..Thanks again to the both of U!! :smileyhappy:

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 12 of 39 (2,663 Views)

[ Edited ]

Great, this is good news since those connectors would have cost you some $ if you can find someone to sell them to you had they been missing. You don't need to install any driver, the PMD is treated as an USB external drive and the O/S would have mapped a drive name for you.

The PMD's come with some sort of backup software, I think it was made by Roxio (Sonic Backup My PC). I personally have never looked at that at all, I do use a free alternative and you can check it out yourself to see if you like it or not - GFI Backup Home Edition http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm It is free for personal use and allows for very flexible backup sets you can define. What is nice is that if you do have shadow copy enabled on your system, you could tell GFI to backup the shadow copy version of the files even though the primary files are locked by the appliactaion, e.g. your PST file if you use outlook.

Message Edited by sclui56 on 10-08-2009 01:48 PM
Intern
Nacster
Message 13 of 39 (2,631 Views)

Hi sclui56 thanks again for taking the time and answering my final question..I also want to thank u for the link, as well..I will definitely check it out, as soon as I get the chance..Thanks again for all the help sclui56 and Mister_Do..I really appreciate all the time and patience, the both of u put into helping me out with my problem..I hope U both have a great day, and a great weekend. :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
DR-DALE
Message 14 of 39 (2,597 Views)

One more Factory did not hook up wire for PMD need to know location to plug cable into

Just one more person that bought a PMD and it did not work.  Found Both Power and Data Cable (new machine) stuffed into wire bundle coming out of power supply.  Figured out the power connector but where does one plug the little black data cable in.  2 hours on the phone to INDIA and several E-Mails and nothing except promises for a picture that never came. 
Grad Student
sclui56
Message 15 of 39 (2,589 Views)

Re: One more Factory did not hook up wire for PMD need to know location to plug cable into

If you are talking about the 4pin data cable, it goes to the MB, unfortunatley, "Black Data Cable" doesn't help much since we do not know your machine type, FYI, in my m9552p, it is white.
Honor Student
DR-DALE
Message 16 of 39 (2,584 Views)

PMD data cable not hooked up at factory Pavilion e9180F Product NP267AAA-ABA

Serial cnx9300kjg Service id 092-209

Latest INDIA case # 802-052-5642 more than 2 hours again today on phone to India

before batteries on phone died.  One guy wanted to install the PMD inside the machine

with a red (SATA) cable.  Guy #3 finally admitted that they do not have documentation on

this machine as it is a new model.  India sends me E-mails that start Hello Richard we are

sending you a DVD Drive, I sent it on to the real person and he sends me an answer back that

he receives E-Mails from INDIA Hello SUZANNE. White Wire out of PMD Bay, I hooked up the

power, but the little black plug that is about the size of SATA plug (but it is not a SATA plug)

needs to go somewhere???

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 17 of 39 (2,580 Views)

Re: PMD data cable not hooked up at factory Pavilion e9180F Product NP267AAA-ABA

What is your machine model, we don't need serial # & service ID. I cannot look up what we don't know, however, the power you described goes to a 4-pin connector on the MB. Once you provided the model # then perhaps we can lookup the picture of the MB and determine where the plug is. Incidentally, most people on this board are simply users and not HP employees, so that's why I said serial # & case # have no meaning to us.
Honor Student
DR-DALE
Message 18 of 39 (2,573 Views)

PMD DRIVE CABLE NOT CONNECTED AT FACTORY

I had model on previous post but it must have been truncated Pavillion e9180f PC Product NP267aa-aba

1 week old today.  Thanks for your help

Grad Student
sclui56
Message 19 of 39 (2,568 Views)

Re: PMD DRIVE CABLE NOT CONNECTED AT FACTORY

[ Edited ]

Go to the following link, scroll down half-way to the MB diagram, look at the SE corner immediately to the left of the pair of SATA connectors, there are 2x2 USB connnectors (BLACK) with labels of F_USB1-USB4, there should be 1 or 2 unoccupied ones.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01901210&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en...

MB

Message Edited by sclui56 on 10-14-2009 12:13 AM
Honor Student
DR-DALE
Message 20 of 39 (2,553 Views)

PMD DRIVE CABLE NOT CONNECTED AT FACTORY (FIXED)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

But for the next person, they need to be made aware that in order to get to this connector.

The Machine needs to have the front cover removed. You don't need to take the hard drive bay

out. Both CD Rom Drives pushed front and

a chop stick or 2 to push the wires out of the way to see it and then guide the PMD DATA

CONNECTOR (small black) into place and seat it, are a great help.  All of this while someone

else holds a light as it is hard to seen down in there. Let see I started on this project on October 10th

and it is not October 14th.  INDIA could not do what this HP Support Forum did in 1 day.

Thanks again and as they say in the INDIA E-Mails (Have a blessid day)  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation