Question

Honor Student
Justin_D
Message 1 of 25 (65,210 Views)
Accepted Solution

Help Removing HP Pavilion Desktop Hard Drive

[ Edited ]

So I recently purchased an HP Pavilion Desktop from Best Buy a few months ago. Thing was running great up until this morning, when the hard drive suddenly decided to go belly-up and fry on me. I called HP Tech Support and they're sending me a free HD to replace the bad one, but I need to remove it and send it back to them. No problem, I think, as I go to open up the chassis to pull it out. Little did I know...

I really don't know who designed the inside of this thing, but reaching the screws to remove the hard drive is all but impossible for someone like me who doesn't have any specialized tools. I got two of the screws out, but the front back one I can barely see let alone reach, and I'm sure there's a fourth which I can't even imagine reaching. I'm hoping someone can give me a special trick or detail that I'm missing which will make this possible, otherwise I'm at a loss how to do this.

Here's the info on the machine:

HP Pavilion Media Center

Product: KT334AA-ABA

Model: m8530f

I'll post a picture of its insides if it's necessary. If anyone has any info which can help me dismantle this beast, I'd be eternally grateful!

-Justin

Message Edited by Justin_D on 02-15-2009 04:40 PM
Teacher
Viper
Message 2 of 25 (65,250 Views)

Re: Help Removing HP Pavilion Desktop Hard Drive

You have to slide the personal media drive cage out the front of the computer. Remove the front bezel, remove the screws that secure the personal media drive cage from the front and pull the green tab while sliding the cage out the front. You will then be able to easily remove the drive.

Don't hesitate to call HP they will gladly assist you with installing the replacement drive.

Honor Student
Justin_D
Message 3 of 25 (65,158 Views)

How do I remove the front panel, though? I don't see any easy methods of removing it, and I don't want to put any stress on places in case I might break something. Are there any tricks to doing that you can share?
Honor Student
Justin_D
Message 4 of 25 (65,156 Views)

Nevermind, I figured it out, and got the hard drive out as well. Thanks a million!!!
Teacher
Viper
Message 5 of 25 (65,094 Views)

Just in case others are interested

The front bezel can be removed by pressing the three plastic tabs on the left front side of the computer (on the inside). They extend into the front of the case. I would start with the bottom and work up to the top. The Bezel will then open up like a door to the right and will come free from the case. 

Glad to help! :robothappy:

Honor Student
sghpman
Message 6 of 25 (57,870 Views)

I want to replace the HD on my old HP Pavilion 7891, but I can't get the front bezel off.

I can relase it with the six tabs on either side, but the fascia at the top holds it fast. It looks like there is a tab underneath the fascia to, but with no way of releasing it.

Has anybody manged to remove the front bezel from a Pavilion 7891?

Honor Student
sghpman
Message 7 of 25 (57,859 Views)

Don't worry, I figured it out. It is all in one piece and the lid slides forward with the bezel. The lid got stuck for some reason, maybe years of grime.

Honor Student
jr542az
Message 8 of 25 (53,094 Views)

Similar question, only on an HP Pavilion a6000.  On this one, the hard drive is in a metal cage.  I removed two screws that hold an extension of the cage to the right side of the case.  Otherwise, it looks like the cage slides down over clips, but it won't move up.  Can anyone help? 

Honor Student
jr542az
Message 9 of 25 (53,087 Views)

OK, I figured it out.  There's a metal tab on the case, at the back of the cage.  Pushing it (hard enough) releases a catch and allows you to slide the cage up and out.

Top Student
iBelgium
Message 10 of 25 (51,562 Views)

Thanks you guys. I had the same problem with my pavilion but finally noticed the metal thing I had to piece while pulling the cage. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation