Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Okay, Dave and others, I did what you said.  Cleared the BIOS setting jumpers, then put them back.  Put the power cord back in, and powered up (with the new graphics card in, not sure if that's what you meant), but the same thing happened.  Nothing.  Fans run, power on, but the rest of the motherboard, including booting up to windows (no indicator light blinking) does not even attempt to work.  There's nothing on the screen and you can't hit ESC and get into the BIOS settings.

When I removed the card again, and powered back up, everything worked as it did before the card, including the computer putting back in the default BIOS settings, which was probably the settings I've always used, since I've never added anything before.

So, Dave, is trying to put the card back in again and seeing if for some reason it would work in a sequence after the BIOS settings were put back to default, worthwhile, or am I done?  Does this mean card is not compatible for one of the two reasons you initially thought.

Anything else to try?  Should I retry once more?

Thanks for all your help.

Confused in PA.

JD

HP Recommended

Dave.  Tried it again after the following, still did not work.

I found the PCI VGA Palatte Snooping button that the computer documentation said had to be ENABLED, which it wasn't, to run a separate video card. I ENABLED it, but the same thing happened when I seated the new video card, so I guess I'm cooked.

Like you said, probably not enough power.

All this because I didn't have DX11 hardware.

Well, I'm not going to pursue this any further. Just wait till I get another computer, I guess.

So, if anyone wants TO BUY a RADEON 8490 VIDEO CARD, let me know. I'll sell it for $30, including shipping in USA, which is what I paid for it.  And I'll guarantee you can get your money back if it doesn't work for you.

Pulled from a brand new Dell Optiplex workstation. Never been used or turned on. This is a brand new AMD Video Card.

AMD Radeon HD 8490 1GB DDR3 64bit DVI/DisplayPort PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Graphics Card MX4D1. DDR3. 1024MB. PCIe 2.0 x16

Thanks for all your help. Appreciate it.

JD

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.