Question

Top Student
Xenharmonic
Message 1 of 3 (238 Views)
Accepted Solution

Hey guys, will the AMD A8 3870K fit in my PC/on my motherboard?

Hey guys :smileyvery-happy: I recently had a Gigabyte GTX 560 installed into my http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=au&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03000845

Which JUST fit (and works AMAZINGLY, I am very pleased with it!)

However some time in the future I might consider upgrading the processor— This is my motherboard: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02966470&lc=en&cc=au&dlc=en#N220

Which I know doesn't say it is supported—however someone suggested to another poster on a forum that:

"It might not have been updated with the release of the 3870K" (they both use the same FX1 socket apparently).

So yea, would you guys do me a favor and tell me if it is indeed supported, and if not, why not?

I would truly appreciate your help and will write you a short poem in payment!

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 3 (226 Views)

Re: Hey guys, will the AMD A8 3870K fit in my PC/on my motherboard?

[ Edited ]

NO, this CPU is not supported by HP. First, there hasn't been a BIOS update to add support for new processors. Second, it is a "K" model which means it's multiplier is unlocked and it is meant for overclocking. Since HP uses a "locked" BIOS in most cases, you wouldn't be able to use the abilities of the unlocked CPU.

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
Xenharmonic
Message 3 of 3 (220 Views)

Re: Hey guys, will the AMD A8 3870K fit in my PC/on my motherboard?

Oh thank you lasvegaswireman—at least I managed to get a sweet graphics card in my HP rig ^^ so i'm very happy with the performance of it at the moment :smileyvery-happy:.

I guess when I upgrade in future it will just have to be a new rig.

And I will definately choose the case/parts and have the store build me one.

DEFINATELY the way to go if you're getting a gaming PC :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation