Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So I've been wanted to upgrade my cpu, but in order to do that I have to upgrade my motherboard first. However, I've been told that the motherboard has to be specific in order to get the keep the OS; since the unit comes  progammed to work with the motherboard that came preinstalled with my Hp desktop. Unless I'm replacing a damaged mobo, but then I would have to get the same model (I think). Is there a "list" of mobos that would qualify as a proper replacements or upgrades to my Hp desktop in which the OS is stil usable? I am so confused.  If that's the case I'll probably just donate my unit and buy or build a new one, but I was trying to save some money. This was my first pc so I'm happy for the years it serve me, but I might stay away from prebuild desktops in the future. Any suggestions? Please be honest, I'm asking a fair question.

This my destok:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01643518

Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Actually to legally keep the OS you would have to replace it with an identical motherboard.

The operating system is licensed to the system you purchased. That is why there is an OEM Microsoft Windows sticker on the PC.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Actually to legally keep the OS you would have to replace it with an identical motherboard.

The operating system is licensed to the system you purchased. That is why there is an OEM Microsoft Windows sticker on the PC.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Like the same exact one? No upgraded version of it or anything?

HP Recommended

Hi 123346,

Based on your other posts, I would ask why you think that you need a processor upgrade.  If there is anything that is holding back your PC's performance, it would be the video processor in your PC. You should be considering a video card (not the NVIDIA 9400) and a power supply upgrade.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Basically I'm trying to get away with slighty upgrading  to improve gaming performace. I will pass this unit to my little brother, but he wants to be able to play games like WoW or GW2. I was actually able to play World of Warcraft on low settings (could not hadle 25-man raids though) with the 9500, but then it started to make loud noises, so I took it out. What would you recommend for video and psu upgrades. The 9400 is done. Would a gtx 9500 do the trick, because I have a friend what would donate one. I'm just not sure if the video or the new psu would fit in my little case though, we tried fitting a 430W corsair and it was too big. Would love to here some suggestions though.

HP Recommended

Hi,

First, as Eric has indicated, the change of a motherboard for an OEM Windows license is viewed as a PC change by Microsoft.  If you can't get an exact mobo replacement for a failed mobo then Microsoft has at times made allowances for those situations.  Contact Microsoft and get the straight scoop.

As for a video card, read this posted document for background information.  What to do consider to be your worst performing video applications?

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hmmm...I suppose since he wants to play GW2: system requirements:

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

Anything that can play this game and fit in the case. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

The reviews on Guild Wars 2 are mixed. Some say it doesn't matter what game settings are being used and then is some indication the the network connection speed could be an issue.  This game is so new that the jury is still out.

Perhaps you shouldn't base the need for a graphics card on just one game but on 3-4 different games. The amount of $$ that you want to spend will definitely influence your decision for a solution.

HP Recommended

Go ahead and close this. Thanks for your answers.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion tx2500 Notebook PC with AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-80 processor and a updated 6.0 RAM. I read on the manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03182899.pdf (on page 70) about all the types of processors that I can use.

Since then, the ZM - 87 and ZM - 88 came out. So can I upgrade to 87 or 88?

Also, am I limited to only AMD Turion processors? Can I upgrade to the new AMD Phenom™ II Processors ?

Can I also change from duel-core to quad? or even X6?

Lastly can i upgrade from 32-bit and 64-bit Window? 

Overall, I just want to upgrade to the highest cpu processor as possible.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.