Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-010xt
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Can someone please tell me how to reset my bios to factory settings.  My computer will not boot at all.  I believe I have accidentially locked my USB ports by pressing the wrong settings in the Bios Setup.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unplug the PC. Remove the CMOS battery and wait 30 seconds. Now hold the power button down for 60 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery. Hopefully you remember your previous BIOS settings.  Boot into the BIOS and set the system clock (time and date).

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Thanks for the response. There was a change but still a problem. I did as you suggested and now my pavilion boots to the point just before you would press enter to cause windows 8 to prompt for a login. Hiwever, the PC will not accept USB input from either the keyboard or mouse so I cannot actually get to the login prompt. It is as if my USB ports are all permanently disabled.
HP Recommended
Thanks for the response. There was a change but still a problem. I did as you suggested and now my pavilion boots to the point just before you would press enter to cause windows 8 to prompt for a login. Hiwever, the PC will not accept USB input from either the keyboard or mouse so I cannot actually get to the login prompt. It is as if my USB ports are all permanently disabled.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following to reset the BIOS to original default settings.  This will enable all your USB ports, provided there is no hardware fault.

1Swith off PC

HP Recommended

Sorry, pressed the wrong key!!!  Start again....

Hi,

Try the following to reset the BIOS to original default settings.  This will enable all your USB ports, provided there is no hardware fault.

1     Swith off PC

2     Switch on PC and keep pressing function key F10 for approx ten to twelve seconds

3.    Press DOWN CURSOR key three times

4.    Press RETURN/ ENTER key two times

Your PC should start.   You will have set the time, passwords etc... in the BIOS

By the what is BIOS version number on you PC?

Regards and good luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.