Question

Honor Student
TJRA
Message 1 of 6 (355 Views)

How do you setup a separate RAID 1 array internally

So there are a numer of fourms about changing the type of RAID or intergrating your system drive into an array, but I am trying to setup a separate internal SATA RAID 1 using my motherboard (so I'm getting two more drives) I have looked all around, even searching my mobo P/N (IPMMB-FM, from what I found it is RAID capable) and there is really nothing showing how. All I've seen is maybe doing something in the BIOS. Anyone know how?

running win 7 on a pavillion h8-1360t

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 6 (322 Views)

Re: How do you setup a separate RAID 1 array internally

I understand you want to setup a RAID array on the system.  

Does a RAID or AHCI SATA controller list in the device manager?  This can be done by going to start, searching for device manager, and opening this result.  The controller will be listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller.  If it is RAID capable, it should say RAID instead of AHCI.

Before setting up a RAID configuration, I highly recommend backing up your data as the drives will most likely be erased during the RAID volume setup.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
TJRA
Message 3 of 6 (318 Views)

This in Device manager:

Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

I see what you are saying, though according to mobo read outs, it should be compatable, maybe it needs to be activated? Also would setting up the raid erase my system drive if it is separate?

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 6 (310 Views)

Setting up a RAID volume typically erases the content of whatever is on the HDDs being entered into the RAID array.  It could be thought of being similar to adding a new HDD to the system.  The SATA controller usually says RAID if it supports it, but you can try checking the BIOS to verify the RAID option is present.  It should be under storage options in the BIOS.  If it is present, then it more than likely does support it. 

To access the Intel RAID utility, see message 4 in this thread.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 5 of 6 (293 Views)

Was there a RAiD option listed in the BIOS?  If so, you should be able to setup the RAID volumes by pressing CTRL + i during the boot process.  

Signature
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 6 (284 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Read this posted document on RAID for Consumer PCs.  Read through the background information and then Creating RAID 1.

1. Backup your existing HD and data. Be sure to have a set of the HP recovery disks.
  2. Use an exact size HD and model for the best results but never a smaller HD.
  3. Format and test the new HD to ensure that it is good.
  4. Download the referenced MS MrFixit patch as mentioned in the above document. Apply the MS MrFixit patch.
  5. Boot into the bios and change the storage option from ACHI to RAID. Save the change.
  6. When you boot up, you will be presented with an Intel Option ROM utility screen so enter the utility and create the array volume. Meta data will be written to both volumes before the copy/sync process will begin. Be patient as the copy/sync process will take some time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation