Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I support computers for the House of Representatives. Every two years we have elections and some win and some lose. The Freshman Congressman inherit equipment from the previous Congressman however the 'history' of the equipment is not exactly inherited.

I am trying to find a way to determine how old each item they inherited is, and looking up the HP Desktops on the website by its serial number only seems to tell me if it is still under warranty or not, and when the warranty expired or expires.

Does the serial number itself contain the year the equipment was manufactured or not? I can't go by the "BIOS" release date because hopefully the BIOS has been updated to the current BIOS since it was purchased and the release date on the BIOS would not be the date the PC was built/made/sold. Many I am looking at begin with MXL or 2UA and I can't figur out if that might translate to a year somehow or is the year somewhere in the middle of the serial number?

Any help would be appreciated. I have at least 75-125 HP's that I need to determine the age of... hopefully, easily. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you old_geekster, I appreciate your responding to my post. I did finally locate an HP Warranty page that allows me to type in 10 or more serial numbers and get a report of warranty start and end dates. I assume the start date of a warranty would coincinde with the purchase date or near it so I am happy with that info. 
The link you provided today with the laptop page wanted me to give the product number as well as the serial number and unfortunately the reports I have to go by only have the Serial Number, make/model, detailed specifications of processor speed, memory installed, current BIOS installed, but no product number so it isn't as helpful as the page I finally stumbled across. 
This is a link to what I found and might be helpful to others too: :generic:
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

ToRiFn, welcome to the forum.

I have asked someone from HP to contact you.  You should hear from them soon.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Here is a link that should give you what you need, even though it is for a laptop.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you old_geekster, I appreciate your responding to my post. I did finally locate an HP Warranty page that allows me to type in 10 or more serial numbers and get a report of warranty start and end dates. I assume the start date of a warranty would coincinde with the purchase date or near it so I am happy with that info. 
The link you provided today with the laptop page wanted me to give the product number as well as the serial number and unfortunately the reports I have to go by only have the Serial Number, make/model, detailed specifications of processor speed, memory installed, current BIOS installed, but no product number so it isn't as helpful as the page I finally stumbled across. 
This is a link to what I found and might be helpful to others too: :generic:
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home
HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Glad to help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.