Question

Student
jenalexa7
Message 1 of 3 (885 Views)

How to install a wireless USB adapter in a Pavilion

I have a Pavilion p6280t desktop that doesn't have a wireless card. I ordered one from HP, and they sent it without anything else in the box (no manual, guidance, etc.). I've installed upgrade cards into other desktops, but this isn't a card, just an adapter. I've looked in the online manuals and can't find anything specific about installing it. Can anybody help me out, or point me to at least a map of the inside of the computer so I can figure out where it goes? The part number/description is WLAN 802.11 b/g embedded bluejay USB adapter.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 3 (875 Views)

Re: How to install a wireless USB adapter in a Pavilion

Frankly I would send it back and buy a PCI-E 1x wireless card.  www.newegg.com has them as do other online retailers.  Buy an Intel if you can.  The support will be a lot better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 3 (842 Views)

Re: How to install a wireless USB adapter in a Pavilion

In looking at the picture for the indicated adapter, I would have expected a plain USB device and not that.  If the simplicity of USB is desired, send it back for an adapter that is a true USB device that just plugs into an external USB jack.  A consumer friendly device will also have instructions and a software disk included.

BTW: is this what was sent to you? http://www.impactcomputers.com/5188-7736.html or was it this?

http://www.surepart.net/items/item.aspx?itemid=9881548

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation