Question

Honor Student
2117velian
Message 1 of 7 (222 Views)

Hp Pavilion Slimline- 5 beeps

Hp Pavilion Slimline s5-1204.

My friend got this computer that he used fine until he decided to put more RAM into it. After trying this and the computer not booting, he put the old RAM in only to find out that it no longer worker with that either. Having tried everything he could think of, he gave me the computer and now Im trying to get it to work so I can have a free computer. However I cannot get it to work either so I was wondering if anyone in these forums could help me.

*it doesnt apear to have the graphics card inserted..... where is the graphics card located and does it need the card to boot?? Also would plugging it into a a screen help, I have not tried that yet so...??

HP Support Agent
MechPilot
Message 2 of 7 (187 Views)

Re: Hp Pavilion Slimline- 5 beeps

Hello 2117velian,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your new computer is not able to boot to Windows after upgrading the memory, and I would be happy to assist you in this endeavor!

To diagnose the number of beeps produced by your computer, I recommend following this document on BIOS Beep Codes. This should help diagnose the cause of the beeps from your computer. 

For further assistance, I will need to know:

• If the beep codes produced are short or long beeps.
  • If you see a SPLASH screen or if the screen is blank.
  • If all of the connections from the power supply are securely plugged into the motherboard and other necessary components.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, as well as the requested information above. I look forward to your reply!

Regards :smileyhappy: 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
2117velian
Message 3 of 7 (173 Views)

The beeps are about a second long. I have not plugged a screen into it yet, should I? Yes the power connection is fine but is there a graphics card integrated into the motherboard or is it just missing on mine. I see a spot for one but nothing is plugged in.

Honor Student
2117velian
Message 4 of 7 (148 Views)

I have now determined that the graphics card is built in so that is definetly not the problem. Also when the computer was plugged into the screen, it showed nothing, indicating that the computer wont boot up. So now what I am wondering is what is making the computer beep? What do the beeps indicate? And what do I need to do to fix it?

HP Support Agent
MechPilot
Message 5 of 7 (135 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello 2117velian,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Based on the information provided in your post, I recommend following this document on when the Screen is Blank after Starting the Computer. This should help return the display back to your computer, or help determine if the issue is linked to the hardware.

If the issue persists, please call our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Best Regards :smileyhappy:

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Honor Student
2117velian
Message 6 of 7 (80 Views)

I have followed the above steps, and determined that it is a hardware problem. Forgive me if I am wrong, but it feels like I am talking to a computer. Let me talk to a REAL person!!!

HP Support Agent
MechPilot
Message 7 of 7 (45 Views)

Hello again 2117velian,

Rest assured, I am not a robot. :smileyhappy:

Since this issue began with replacing the RAM on your computer, do the replacement modules match up with the specifications below?

• Amount: 4 GB
  • Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec (message as PC3-8500)
  • Type: DDR3-1333
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets

Supports the following:

PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)

PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)

• Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* systems
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit systems

Additionally, were you able to see a SPLASH screen when the computer first powers on? If so, were you able to get into the BIOS screen?

If you were not able to access the BIOS, there is a high chance that the beeps are indicating a hardware issue with your computer. If you PC is still in warranty, I recommend contacting our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

If you do have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to re-post!

Cheers :smileyhappy:

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation