Question

Honor Student
applesause22
Message 1 of 2 (182 Views)
Accepted Solution

I need a replacement power supply.

I own a HP pavillion m9500z desktop and i think the power supply went out. The computer recently would stay on for 15 minutes the it would go to sleep mode and would need reset toturn back on. I cleaned out the dust thinking it was overheating. When i put it back together the light glowed for 5 seconds then went out. I have tried different outlets and leaving it unplugged for overnight. what power supply do I need? and where can i find an affordable replacement? Thank you!
Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 2 (167 Views)

Re: I need a replacement power supply.

[ Edited ]

The m9500z is a CTO (configureable) unit, and as such, can have various hardware differences. (More on that later). Here is a generic power (PSU) supply tester/tutorial. Here are various internal connectors.  The graphic (GPU) card connectors are of the most concern. Your system might have a PCIE card with a power lead adapter, converting 2 molex 4 pin into 6/8 pin PCIE. Start at the PSU, and trace back each lead, noting the connectors, and compare to the link. Do not disconnect anything. Just take good notes of what goes where!

The specs state a 350W PSU (with a marginal 65% efficiency rating). But the CTO config on the graphics card (GPU) GTS250 states requirements of a 450W PSU. You really need to look at label on your unit's PSU. If you need a new PSU, based on the tests, I would recommend the Corsair 500W . It is energy efficient, and the power curve will provide the necessary power without strain on the system. (Adding an extra 100W capability helps).

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation