I need to format my hard drive and start over! but nothing works? How do I do it? please help! (4815 Views)
Top Student
JCX2
Message 1 of 16 (4,815 Views)

I need to format my hard drive and start over! but nothing works? How do I do it? please help!

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 16 (4,794 Views)

Re: I need to format my hard drive and start over! but nothing works? How do I do it? please help!

[ Edited ]

JCX2 wrote: I need to format my hard drive and start over! but nothing works? How do I do it? please help!

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello JCX2, Can you advise the model of your system and the operating system you are using?

The Recovery process is somewaht different depending on the model and operating system.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 16 (4,788 Views)

Re: I need to format my hard drive and start over! but nothing works? How do I do it? please help!

Since there is no model number or any info, I would say "see the BIOS splash screen and start the Recovery Manager to return the computer to like new"  If the Recovery Disk set was not made, then do that first because they may be needed.  Depending on the comment " I need to format my hard drive and start over! but nothing works"  please explain what has been done and what were the error messages.

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
JCX2
Message 4 of 16 (4,785 Views)

Thanks,  

It is a M7674N Pavillion. The hard drive and recovery disks are good but, won't work, it starts to make a recovery partition then comes up with no os hit R to start total recovery and just keeps doing that. It won't boot to the recovery disk. It will run the PC Doctor disk but it does not have anyway to format the hard drive on it, it will run bootable Norton disks etc. but I don't have anything with f disk on it. My wife tried to install xp direct to it and that made things worse.  It will go into setup.  Thank you for your help. Seems strange to me that HP won't help me. John

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 5 of 16 (4,770 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello JCX2, Here  is a link that has the information to perform a Recovery Restore from the HP Recovery Restore Utility on the hard drive.

You should not need any of the Recovery Disk to do this, if the Recovery Restore partition has not been deleted or corrupted.

If this works, the system hard drive will be wiped clean and you system put back to the satat when it was shipped.

Look in the section Recovering during startup.

Top Student
JCX2
Message 6 of 16 (4,760 Views)

Thanks again,

That was the first thing I did! And I was installing all the updates to xp, but it was running super slow, would take 30 min just to start up, then every once in awhile it would be fine for a couple of hrs, then back to where I would click on something and it would take 10 min or more to open it up, so I decided to do a total restore with the disks. Thats when things went really bad.  Now the partitions are destroyed!  I think that maybe if I had a bootable disk had format commands on it, maybe I could wipe the whole drive and start over some way? I have looked for one but can't find one.  There are some on e-bay that claim they can do it, but I looked at the reviews and most of them say they won't. There are programs for 50 bucks or more that say they will do it? I hate to spend that kind of money just to format a hard drive and install xp on an old computer, but don't want to buy a new one either?  Thank you again for your help!!!  Hope you have the answer?  John

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 7 of 16 (4,749 Views)

Hello JCX2, Can you advise if you have a Windows operating system disk, or a floppy drive?

If not, there are some free applications on the Internet that will allow you to create a bootable CD or USB drive to get to a DOS prompt to delete the partition, create a new partition and format the hard drive.

I believe the partition needs to be deleted and a new partition created.

I do this every time I install an operating system, just to make sure I have no partition issues that may show up later.

Please keep us posted.

Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 8 of 16 (4,745 Views)

[ Edited ]

If formatting the hard drive is eluding, download Hire's Boot CD found here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

The actual file is down near the bottom of the box on that page and called Hirens.BootCD.13.0.zip

There are  hard drive tools for various brands plus other tools that will help to see if the drive is OK. 

Or try this: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/   similar and also has hard drive utilities.

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
JCX2
Message 9 of 16 (4,719 Views)

Hello, 

I can't thank everyone that has posted enough for the help!!!

Well, I didn't think it was any big deal, I used to wipe hard drives clean and install upgrades and new hard drives all the time, but just like building my own computer the technology was running away from me with super speed and if I don't use something all the time I forget how.  CRS I think it's called. Anyway I was not selling computers anymore so I bought one, this being the first one I ever bought for myself that was factory built. I used it for awhile and a HP tech helped me upgrade to Vista, which I turned out to hate. HP tech support helped me put xp back on it, and the restore disks worked great, well after a couple more yrs the system needed to be redone as they do from time to time, and when it became unbearable I did it.  My restore disks are 2 dvd's btw, and I do not have a floppy drive anymore. Anyway after I had totally screwed things up my wife attempted to fix it and tried to install XP direct to the hard drive which destroyed the partitions and did not work. I would think HP would have a download for a bootable DVD to handle this, but I can't find one. I see in the next post that one of the cheaper recover disks off of e-bay might work so guess I will try to follow some of the suggestions and download a free program fist then try that.  I will be back I am sure!!!  Thanks again,         John

Top Student
JCX2
Message 10 of 16 (4,710 Views)

Hello,

Thank you so very much!!!  I am pretty sure this will work!!! Either way I will be back to post what happens!!!   John

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation