Question

Top Student
lswinford
Message 1 of 20 (16,916 Views)

IR remote sensor cable

Has anyone successfully used the IR remote sensor cable on an HP Pavilion Elite 9000 series to change channels on a TV settop box?

I just changed cable providers and it appears the cable box with this system is mandatory; plugging the cable into either coax inputs on the built in TV tuner results in no signal or channels.

Master's Graduate
Bill_Hicks
Message 2 of 20 (16,899 Views)

Re: IR remote sensor cable

I haven't set one up on a 9000, but I have set a few up on other systems. You just need to plug the IR receiver into the PC and then attach the sensor end to the front of the IR sensor on the cable box. Then when you set up Media Center, just follow the onscreen instructions for configuring the remote to work with the sensor and cable box.

Here is a link to your manuals page (the IR instructions are on Setup poster page 2):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3629325&

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 3 of 20 (16,895 Views)

I have a 9400t. If you have the same TV tuner installed you should have an ATSC coax in and an QAM coax-in. Connect the coax from the TV out on the set top box to the TV-in on the Tuner (not ANT-in).

Connect the little IR blaster cable into one of the two black IR Out ports and stick the little red glass bubble end somewhere near the front of the cable set-top box

Hicks is right, once you do that and you know your set-top is on and putting out a signal you should go through Media Center TV setup again.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
lswinford
Message 4 of 20 (16,892 Views)

Thanks for your suggestions guys, but I tried all of that.
When I go through the Medai Center setup, it gives me an error that no IR sensor is present.
I can't find a part number to even order a replacement.

Lee

Master's Graduate
Bill_Hicks
Message 5 of 20 (16,850 Views)

Try going into Device Manager and looking under USB to see if the IR reciever is being recognized by the PC.

Top Student
lswinford
Message 6 of 20 (16,787 Views)

Looked into that as well, but the IR devices (including the sensor the Media Center remote uses) both show as functioning properly.
My gut feel is the sensor is not working, but I can't find a way on the HP parts site to buy a new one.

Honor Student
Judith10
Message 7 of 20 (16,316 Views)

I have new Pavilion m9300t with Vista Ultimate.  Have had no problem with 2 other XP HP Pavilion computers and Media Center changing channels with ir blaster cable and a set top box.  Everything works on the m9300t except it will not change channels (same set top box). The m9300t has an internal card from which the cable extends to the set top box. The other 2 computers have an external USB sensor device from which the ir blaster cable extends to the set top box. HP Support has not been able to help me solve the changing channels problem on the m9300t.  In the mean time, I have purchased a new external USB sensor (like the ones on my other 2 computers).  I use the same ir blaster cable and the same remote that came with my m9300t and am now able to change channels with no problem.  It was important to me that I be able to use the new Vista computer to do this because I wanted to use my XBox 360 as an extender with Vista Media Center.  It works perfectly now.  It is still frustrating, though, that the new Pavilion m9300t has this problem.  I should not have had to go out and buy the new USB remote sensor.  Still waiting for HP Support to come up with a solution.
Judith10
Top Student
lswinford
Message 8 of 20 (16,305 Views)

Where did you find a USB extender device? This may solve my issue, though I don't want to buy another sensor either.

You say your new PC has a card the remote sensor plugs into. Is the card in the normal slot area, or elsewhere in the chassis?
My 9040 has two small outlets as the bottom of the back of the chassis, that are like 1/8" stereo mini-plugs.

I brought this as a floor model on clearance, so I'm afraid that

a) the remote sensor I received when they boxed everything up was non-functional, but I didn't know until now, or

b) this is not the remote sensor that came with the PC, but just something the Office Depot guy threw in the box.

Does anyone from HP ever chime in here on the forum with assistance or nuggets of wisdom?
Honor Student
Judith10
Message 9 of 20 (16,360 Views)

Hi, Iswinford: I had not wanted to go into a lot of detail about my remote sensor and ir blaster cable problems because it would have taken several pages.

(1) The internal card I refer to is located on the back of the CPU toward the bottom and has actually 3 small connections--2 black and 1 red.  Yes, they are like the mini-plugs you describe.  The ir blaster cable plugs into one of the black connections and the ir blaster bug on the cable is stuck to the set top box window.  The Media Center remote came with the computer, communicates perfectly and handles anything I need it to--it turns on Media Center and it changes all options within Media Center--except it will not change channels.  The sensor device (little red light that blinks when you use the Media Center remote) is on the front of the case toward the top and, of course, is internal.

(2) When you say remote sensor in your reply--do you mean the remote itself?  When you got your computer, did it come with a long, very fragile looking cable with it?  It has a male plug on one end and a plastic bug-like device on the other--if so, this is the cable that must be used with the set top box as I said in (1).

(3) Are you able to get tv video and audio through Media Center on your computer?

I am asking all these questions because the answers will determine whether you would want to buy an external USB remote sensor.  I found it through Amazon.com. (Description: 1 of HP Infrared Receiver for HP Media Center 5188-1667.)  It was advertised as new, but it did not come with a ir blaster cable. I paid $25.00 plus shipping.  It works for me.  Sorry this is such a long reply, but the Media Center tv set up can be very complex.

Judith10
Master's Graduate
Bill_Hicks
Message 10 of 20 (16,331 Views)

When you are setting up Media Center. Are you able to get to where it asks you to sync your remote?

When setting up the IR receiver always put the remote directly in front of the IR receiver (about an inch away from it). After the remote and IR "see" each other you can move on in the MC setup. I ran into this problem when setting up the IR too. I was sitting several feet away to do the setup, and it wouldn't get past the IR message until I put the remote right in front of it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation