Question
Installing a 3TB secondary hard drive on a Presario CQ5320F
Replies (12)

Top Student
HankRearden
Message 11 of 13 (349 Views)

Re: Installing a 3TB secondary hard drive on a Presario CQ5320F

Well, bad news to report:

I tried to set my HDD controller/SATA configuration in my BIOS to AHCI to see if it would then recognize the full drive, not just the first terabyte. Unfortunately my BIOS has no such option. I have a screen almost identical to the one pictured below, except the fields in the red rectangle DON'T EXIST in my BIOS (to my original post, this is why I wonder if there's any hope of HP making a BIOS update available for this machine).

On a whim, I still tried to see if MiniTool Partition Wizard would let me access the whole drive, but no luck. I installed it just fine, used it to remove partitions on the drive in question, reset the drive to MBR, create a partition and format it, then switch to GPT - but the result was the same, it only ever sees ~750GB.

Anything you can think of I might be overlooking?  Other ideas?  Or should I admit defeat and learn my lesson to better check compatibility before buying something new?  :smileyhappy:

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 12 of 13 (346 Views)

Well, you gave it your best shot.

Still surprised the PC's BIOS wouldn't at least recognize 2 TB.

I definitely wouldn't get my hopes up on a BIOS update.

While your PC came out in 2009 I believe, the chipset in there is from around 2004 or 05.

It is old architecture, and even a BIOS update won't allow for AHCI.

Box up the drive, and save it for when you get another PC.

Teacher
antde2001
Message 13 of 13 (344 Views)

Yea, I agree with Paul on this one.

Without a new motherboard it's unlikely a bios update will make your system recognize the drive's full capacity. 

It can't hurt to try updating the bios but I wouldn't put much on the hope. 

So update your bios, try again and report back. Good luck, chief :smileysad:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation