Re: Intel Sandy Bridge chipset flaw - does it affect HPE-550f? (3129 Views)
Top Student
kerropiboy
Message 11 of 34 (3,360 Views)

Re: Intel Sandy Bridge chipset flaw - does it affect HPE-550f?

How sketchy is this???? 

I ordered a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-570t PC which arrived 2 days ago.  I called customer service to ask if my computer was affected by this flaw, and the rep told me "actually only a very small percentage of computers was affected.  You should continue to use your computer and if you notice a performance issue, you are covered under the 21 day return policy." 

I then pointed out that the chipset flaw affects performance over several months / years - and so 21 day return policy wouldn't help me by the time I noticed.  I then asked him if he even knew what I was talking about, and he said, yes he knew.  He then passed me onto tech support to check if my computer was affected.

I am so pissed HP is telling customers to "don't worry about it, just use your computer."  Most people who buy these computers probably don't even know enough about the flaw to realize it degrades over time - if they know about it at all. 

Shame on you HP.

Tutor
Nobby
Message 12 of 34 (3,291 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi All, 

This is issue is only with 2nd generation Intel processors. To identify if your product have such processor follow the below instructions:

Use the following steps to  identify their chipset using Microsoft® Windows® 7 Device Manager:

1. Click Start, type device into the search field, and then select Device Manager from the list.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to expand the System devices entry.
  3. Look for the chipset name in a string similar to the following: Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family.
  4. If the chipset name in Device Manager is in the “Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family”, then your HP computer is affected.
    This Alert is for Intel® 6 Series Express Chipsets and Intel® Xeon® C200 Chipsets users and not for Mobile Intel® 6 Series Chipset(HM65, HM67). 
    For more information, provide the following link:
    If still wish to know more information, you  can contact the Intel support. To contact use the provided web link:
    If there is any recall HP will announce recall to all the models that are covered in future.
    Here is the press release by Intel regarding the issue.
    Intel has discovered a design flaw in a chipset circuit and has “implemented a silicon fix.” The chip giant also said it will work with PC makers to handle returns and repairs and we already have customers contacting us whether the HP notebooks have this issue or not. Kindly request you to check this with the client.
    Reference articles :
    Video with Interview my Stacy Smith from Intel :

Nobby
Tutor
Nobby
Message 13 of 34 (3,261 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nobby
HP Administrator
DaniW
Message 14 of 34 (3,129 Views)

[ Edited ]

Greetings!

If you have technical questions about the January 31, 2011 Intel 6 Series chipset announcement, please refer to the Intel website at: http://intel.ly/fY4HfD.

Not all HP computers with Intel chipsets are affected by this issue.

To determine if your HP computer contains the affected chipset and for information regarding your options, refer to the following document on hp.com: Intel(R) 6 Series Chipset Issue May Affect Certain HP Desktop and Notebook PCs.

Note: The link above has been updated with new information as of March 27, 2011

Thank you!

DaniW
HP Forum Admin

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Intern
BrokeBrain
Message 15 of 34 (3,111 Views)

Look at this system on Sams site and let me know if this has the effected chip set?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod2410993&navAction=push&_requestid=169749

I believe that it does and they were selling pretty good at Sams today.

Top Student
jmore
Message 16 of 34 (3,039 Views)

I was very surprised to see that this conversation now says "Solved!". Given that I am the one who started this conversation, I think I should be the one to say if it is solved or not. I guess if an HP Administrator gives an official response, they are allowed to mark it Solved. Unfortunately, my question included "What will HP do to fix?" and that has not been answered. All they say is that a service solution will be offered later. There is a big difference between serivce solution = send it in for warranty repair and = we'll send you a new computer.

Top Student
jmore
Message 17 of 34 (3,038 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, the Sam's club computer also has the Series 6 chipset with the flaw. To HP's benefit, I believe that these units only have two SATA drives installed (hard drive and BluRay-DVD) and so as configured they won't have a problem assuming these two are connected to the working SATA-III ports. So for most people who don't add more drives these will be OK. However they should be sold with a notice saying that they are not upgradable as is.

Top Student
kerropiboy
Message 18 of 34 (3,003 Views)

HP’s handling of this flawed Intel chipset situation is downright unethical.

I ordered a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-570t PC which arrived 2 days ago.  I called customer service to ask if my computer was affected by this flaw, and the rep told me "actually only a very small percentage of computers was affected.  You should continue to use your computer and if you notice a performance issue, you are covered under the 21 day return policy."

I then pointed out that the chipset flaw affects performance over several months / years - and so 21 day return policy wouldn't help me.  I am so pissed HP is telling customers to "don't worry about it, just use your computer."  Most people who buy these computers probably don't even know enough about the flaw to realize it degrades over time.

I then called customer service AGAIN, and this time the representative looked up my order number and then assured me that I did NOT have the faulty chipset.  I asked if she was positive, and she laughed and said she was positive, so I didn’t need to worry about it.

I then called technical support directly – and they pointed me to this link to check myself if I had the faulty chipset.

Of course – in fact, I DO have the faulty chipset.

I then call customer service to return my computer, explain that I believe that I have the faulty chipset and that I want to return my computer.  This customer service rep then tells me again to just use my computer and let HP know if I have any performance issues.  Assures me that I can return the computer within 3 months. 

This time, I went nuts.  To recap, the FIRST time I called, the HP rep told me “don’t worry about it, just use your computer.  The SECOND time I called, the HP rep LIED TO ME and assured me that I did not have the faulty chipset.   The final time I called, the HP rep tried to again tell me to just use the computer if I have any problems in the next three months, I could return the computer (when the problem degrades over months / years)!

For comparison, please see how Dell handled this Intel chipset issue here. 

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2011/02/02/intel-chipset-i...

Basically, Dell clearly identifies the affected computers and offers customers a full refund or a future free repair (where Dell would come and make the fix directly).

I am returning my HP, and I will NEVER buy another HP product again!  This is just unethical corporate behavior in this “crisis”.

Tutor
Nobby
Message 19 of 34 (2,959 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP Customer Support should help you with the right solution..:smileyhappy:

Nobby
HP Administrator
DaniW
Message 20 of 34 (2,913 Views)

@jmore

I have removed the solved tag to my post, if you would like to mark it solved feel free to do so.

I did this to raise visibility to the official HP Statement as of today

Thanks for your patience and for being a loyal HP customer

regards,

DaniW

DaniW
HP Forum Admin

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation