Question

Honor Student
MFHP
Message 1 of 3 (2,505 Views)
Accepted Solution

Is a 2TB internal SATA Hard-disk supported on HP Paviliion Elite m9510f?

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion Elite m9510f Desktop PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and want to install an internal 2TB SATA hard-disk.

I would like to know if this computer (see configuration details below) supports such 2 TB HDD:

1) Can I use it as a secondary (non-bootable) hard-disk?
2) What about as a bootable hard-disk, will it work?
3) Will I have to create multiple partitions or a single 2TB can be created/formatted?

Specifically, I plan on using a Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive model ST320005N4A1AS-RK
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=st320005n4a1as-rk-barracuda-3-5-sata-5900rpm-2tb-hd&vgnex...

Computer Configuration:
===================

HP Pavilion Elite m9510f Desktop PC
Product #: NC692AAR-ABA

System Board
 Chipset Intel G31/G33/G35/P31/P35
 Southbridge Intel 82801IR (ICH9R)

Base Board
 Manufacturer: PEGATRON CORPORATION
 Manufacturer's motherboard: Asus IPIBL-LB
 HP/Compaq name: Benicia-GL8E

BIOS
 Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
 Release Date 05/06/2009
 BIOS Version String 5.39
 ROM Size 1.00 MB

Operating System:
 Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit)

CPU:
 Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

RAM:
 8 GB

Installed HDD (Seagate 750 GB)
 Model Number: ST3750630AS
 Firmware Revision: HP26
 Size: 698.6 GB
 Rotation Rate: 7200 RPM
 Cache Size: 16 MB
 Physical Sector Size: 512 B
 Logical Sector Size: 512 B
 Logical Sector Count: 1465149168

Tx,

MFHP
---

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 2 of 3 (2,480 Views)

Re: Is a 2TB internal SATA Hard-disk supported on HP Paviliion Elite m9510f?

The word "supported" has specific connotations in HP - it usually means was it tested with, sold with, etc.   I don't believe these drives were available when this system was built/designed, so the official "supported" moniker can't be provided.

This all being said - I don't see where there would be a problem with this drive.   I've an HP m9600t of a similar vintage - I've swapped out my 750GB Seagate drive for a 2TB Hitachi 7200 RPM drive, and added another 2TB WD "Green" drive as a secondary drive.   No problems.

I used Norton's Ghost to clone the old boot HDD onto the Hitachi.  Made sure that the D: drive aka: "recovery partition" was kept the same size, and then told Norton to use all the space of the new drive to expand out the C: drive.  Works fine.   The WD drive - I partitioned as one large E: drive.   Made sure to partition it as NTFS. 

Your mileage may vary - but I think this should work fine....

-dm (a long time HP employee, but the comments/suggestions are my own, not my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Honor Student
MFHP
Message 3 of 3 (2,460 Views)

Re: Is a 2TB internal SATA Hard-disk supported on HP Paviliion Elite m9510f?

Thanks for your quiick reply.

Installed the above mentioned Seagate 2 TB drive successfully as a secondary drive :smileyvery-happy:

The BIOS recognized the it automatically and reported the total capacity of 2 TB (actually 1.863).

Windows recognized it without problems and installed the appropriate drivers.

I then opened the Computer Management and used Disk Management to format the drive. Chose MBR (instead of GPT), 512  bytes cluster size and opted for a quick format as a single NTFS partition. Format was indeed quite fast and drive was ready for use.

Ran checkdisk, with surface scan, and no problems were found.

Copied some small files and other large files (1 GB movies) smoothly.

Thanks again and we can consider this message solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation