Question

Honor Student
Zombietortilla
Message 1 of 5 (320 Views)

Is a n amd 7950 compatible with a IPISB-CH2 (Chicago) motherboard

I have an hp h8 - 1160t (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5155342) and bought a new amd 7950 GPU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414). I PROPERLY PLUGGED IT INTO MY MOTHERBOARD AND PUT THE PCIE CABLES PROPERLY INTO THE CARD ( i replaced many grafics cards before). No when i turn on the computer there is no display on my moniter and my mouse and keyboard won't turn on (they are both wired). I have 650 watt corssair power supply and the card only requires 500 watt so the power supply is not the problem( its also a new power supply too like only 2 weeks new), also ive put the card in my friends computer and its worked fine. ive also reset the cmos on my motherboared and then flashed the bios but im still encountering the same problem. When i plug in the grafics card that came with the computer it turns on like nothing ever happened  ...

Most of my friends and i have believe that the motherboard(http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02854392&printver=tru...) inside the computer is not compatible with the card but are still not sure.  So if anyone knows PLEASE HELP, I HATE WASTING MONEY ON NEW COMPUTER PARTS THAT DONT WORK WITH MY COMPUTER!!!

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 2 of 5 (285 Views)

Re: Is a n amd 7950 compatible with a IPISB-CH2 (Chicago) motherboard

Hey Zombietortilla, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with the new graphics card. What type of system does your friend have? Home built or OEM?

If OEM, what brand and model number? I'd like to compare those specs with yours. 

Also, what are your Hard Drive and RAM specifications on your h8? The product specifications page only shows me the different options configurable for the h8-1160t. (If you want, you can just private message me the serial number and I'll be able to pull up the precise specifications.)

I'll keep an eye out for your reply :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Zombietortilla
Message 3 of 5 (259 Views)

hey thanks for the reply, my friendds system is a home bulit.... in my h8 i have a 1TB HDD and 8 gig ram

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 4 of 5 (240 Views)

How big of a power supply does your friend have? I know you mentioned that you don't believe it is the power supply, but I really think if you put your friend's power supply in your computer, the card would work. That's something you could just try to avoid buying a new power supply. Although, the rest of your friend's computer may have components that require a lot less power than your other components. That's why I would really like to know what wattage your friend's PSU is. 

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 5 of 5 (222 Views)

Any luck with your issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation