Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Keyboard-Mouse 5188-6816
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Keyboard-Mouse 5188-6816 has stopped working.  The "connect" light to link the keyboard and mouse to the USB connector  does not come on anymore on the USB connector.  A Tech support said that I needed to replace the USB connector.  Is one available through HP?  How can I find one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your 2.4GHz  wireless keyboard mouse combo was not delivered with a usb cable.

It uses a usb dongle which connects the mouse and keyboard wirelessly to the destop PC.

You can't purchase a replacement dongle.

A wireless dongle is permanently coded to the pairs of keyboards and mice combos at the factory.

Your tech support should have told you that.

If your keyboard were bluetooth it would have been a different story and a replacement  generic Bluetooth dongle could have been purchased.

your keyboard_mouse.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your 2.4GHz  wireless keyboard mouse combo was not delivered with a usb cable.

It uses a usb dongle which connects the mouse and keyboard wirelessly to the destop PC.

You can't purchase a replacement dongle.

A wireless dongle is permanently coded to the pairs of keyboards and mice combos at the factory.

Your tech support should have told you that.

If your keyboard were bluetooth it would have been a different story and a replacement  generic Bluetooth dongle could have been purchased.

your keyboard_mouse.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  The tech did tell me that he did not think a generic "dongle" was available.  But, he thought HP would have one, because he said that many HP keyboard failures were because of the little dongle.

TRS-3

HP Recommended

You are welcome.

I would find another technician.  He did not have enough knowlege about the difference between wireless and bluetooth keyboard mouse\keyboard combo implementations to share his thoughts on the subject.  There is no such thing as a generic wifi dongle for keyboards. 

He thought wrong.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.