Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was testing a used hard drive in an auxiliary connection to my Pavilion p6670t.  My mistake was disconnecting it before powering down the computer. Pulling the drive's power connection, I got a spark and the computer shut down.  The computer won't turn on although a few LEDs still light up.  I am hoping I blew a fuse in the power supply.   I have not removed or opened the power supply, but there's no fuse apparent from the outside.  Of course there's one of those annoying stickers telling me I void the warranty if I open it--but I probably already voided the warranty by zapping something anyway.

Any advice? Will I find a fuse in that metal box, or do I need a new power supply?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, a PSU has fuse in it but in your case I can't see anything wrong with the unit itself because the LED's still light up. Anyway,  please read it to find out where is the fuse & post back your result.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/learn-to-re-fuse-a-power-supply/1053277

Good luck,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Well, the LEDs stay on even when the unit is unplugged, so they're powered by either the backup battery or a capacitor. 

Anyway, the guide you linked to as helpful.  I opened up the power supply, being careful not to touch any internals, tried to locate a fuse.  I could not find one, Fortunately, before ordering a new power supply I plugged it in to see if it would work, and it does.  So there may be a thermal cutoff that got triggered and took hours to reset.  I dunno. If so, HP has certainly improved on the idea of a fuse you have to unsolder to replace.

By the way, there are two capacitors the size of C batterieis inside that power supply, so a person could get a nasty jolt by touching the wrong places without discharging them first! 

HP Recommended

I had this problem after plugging earbuds into the USB port.  Called HP, this is what they had me do:  Unplug everything from the back of the PC.  Press and hold the power button for thirty to thirty-five seconds.  Then plug in the power cord and press the power button.  If it works turn it off (press for five seconds) then plug everything back in.  It worked on my H8-1030. 

HP Recommended

Thanks!  I think I did something similar by accident when turning the computer off and on multiple times for diagnostics.  

In other words, the system is better than fused: it has an automatic shutdown with reset.  The only problem is that it's not explained in their documentation.   But I expect that the HP advice would have done the trick for my unit too.

HP Recommended
pls i want to know the right fuse to buy and fix on the power board of my Letion Desktop.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.