Question

Tutor
wesleylee99
Message 1 of 13 (1,897 Views)

Issue if using only SATA port 0 and 1 of flawed Sandy Bridge chipset

I've confirmed that I indeed have the flawed Sandy Bridge Chipset as looked at the "system devices" in the device manager (i.e. I have the Intel 6 Series /C200 chipset. 

Now the questiion:  I have the p6780t system with one 1TB hard drive and one DVD drive.   I would assume that only SATA ports 0 and 1 are used.  Now from my understanding of the issue, it is the 3Gbs SATA ports from the H67/P67 chip that is problematic.   Ports 0 and 1 which are the "6 Gbps" ports (but only used at 3Gbs) are OK --the reason being that the clock tree driver for the 6Gbs ports (0 and  1) are OK.   

So if I never use SATA ports 2 to 5, then I would never have a problem. (Obviously, my system is limited).  Appreciate anyone in the know that can respond to this.  Thanks.   (I'm an engineer, so you can get technical with me)

Tutor
wesleylee99
Message 2 of 13 (1,841 Views)

Re: Issue if using only SATA port 0 and 1 of flawed Sandy Bridge chipset

Hi,

Can anyone answer this question?  DaniW got your ears up?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 13 (1,837 Views)

Hi Wesley,

My advice is to not play with fire.  Send the PC back.  Your needs may change in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
TomTahoe
Message 4 of 13 (1,793 Views)

You can use this utility to see what ports your SATA devices are using and the SATA level of your ports:

http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/gigabyte-6-series-sata-check.html

Tutor
AySz88
Message 5 of 13 (1,782 Views)

If you run that utility, please post back on which physical ports correspond to the SATA III ports - I'm sure people would find that handy, myself included.

(I have a p6780t but I can't access it until Saturday... >.< )

Tutor
wesleylee99
Message 6 of 13 (1,701 Views)

Thanks Tom,  I hope this utility works for my HP computer.  I'm going to try this tonight.

Tutor
wesleylee99
Message 7 of 13 (1,689 Views)

Here's the the utility report.  My p6780 computer is using SATA port 2!

Note,  this utility is actually for the Gigabyte MBs, so I have to do a sanity check if this is really so by openin up my box.

Tutor
wesleylee99
Message 8 of 13 (1,680 Views)

Hmm, the screen dump doesn't seem to work, but I opened the box.   The hard drive is connect to SATA port 0 and the DVD drive is connect to SATA port 2.  This actually makes sense.  SATA port 1 is physically close to the hard disk bay, and so adding another hard drive is easily connect to port 1.   For now, I'm going to leave this way,  I don't use the DVD that much, and I can add another HD later.

Tutor
AySz88
Message 9 of 13 (1,671 Views)

[ Edited ]

The image you tried to attach is too big for the data URI encoding thing, and it looks like cut off partway during the conversion after looking at it converted back....

On the motherboard, there isn't anything labeled SATA port 0, so I'm confused...  I'm guessing you mean that the okay ports are labeled 1 and 2, but the drives are connected to 1 (HD) and 3 (DVD)?  And you're going to leave the DVD drive connected to port 3?

You can always move the DVD drive at the time you need to add a second HD - the press releases make it sound like the problematic ports won't degrade as long as you avoid using them, so you might as well keep them fresh.

[edit] Ah, I've noticed now that the ports are labeled differently on the motherboard spec page than on the physical motherboard... I guess the website's numbering is the one that should be followed.

Tutor
wesleylee99
Message 10 of 13 (1,661 Views)

The important thing to note is that the 6Gbs ports are on the side pointing outward, and the 3Gbs ports are pointing upward. On my motherboard, one "side pointing" SATA connector is connected to the HD, and the "upward-pointing" SATA connector is connected to the DVD.    This makes sense because there could potentially be a very fast HD that could take advantage of the 6Gbs bandwidth, although now, my HD only operate at 3Gbs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation