Issue if using only SATA port 0 and 1 of flawed Sandy Bridge chipset
Replies (12)

Tutor
AySz88
Message 11 of 13 (436 Views)

Re: Issue if using only SATA port 0 and 1 of flawed Sandy Bridge chipset

[ Edited ]

Going to repost here:

For clarity, I'm going to use the physical labels that are on the motherboard.  (The physical labels are off by one from how they are numbered in software and on schematics.)

According to the utility from Gigabyte and the schematics, the two good SATA III ports are the ones that are physically labeled "SATA 1" and "SATA 2" - these are the two ports facing to the side toward the hard drives, and are colored dark blue and beige/white respectively.  Out of the box, all you need to do is to move the DVD drive's connection from the "SATA 3" (light blue) port to the "SATA 2" (beige/white) port.  The cable gets a bit taut but there's just enough length for it.

Tutor
AySz88
Message 12 of 13 (433 Views)

wesleylee99 wrote:

The important thing to note is that the 6Gbs ports are on the side pointing outward, and the 3Gbs ports are pointing upward. On my motherboard, one "side pointing" SATA connector is connected to the HD, and the "upward-pointing" SATA connector is connected to the DVD.    This makes sense because there could potentially be a very fast HD that could take advantage of the 6Gbs bandwidth, although now, my HD only operate at 3Gbs.

I would think we would want to change those connections for now, right?  Since we should avoid using the problematic ports as much as possible so that there's less degradation (until we really need a third port to use).

Tutor
wesleylee99
Message 13 of 13 (417 Views)

Yeah, after I made this post, I opened up my box again the changed the SATA port for the DVD drive to port 1 (side port) - a bit tight a you mentioned.  I don't want to deal with any potential reliabilty issues in the future.  Plus,  I just may NEVER use the 3Gbs ports (2 and 3).   If I ever want to use more HDs, I'll use an external USB 3.0 drive which is suppose to run up to 5Gbs.  (I actually already have Seagate Flex drive that is USB 3.0 capable, and I could just add the usb 3.0 PCIe card.)  I guess I'll have to live without RAID disks internally, but then again, I never had them before, so this won't be missed.  Hope your computer goes well for you. Mine's been working like a champ.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation