Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Are you conceding that if a 1TB mSATA SSD is installed in the mSATA port, the system could be made to boot from the mSATA SSD with a transfer rate of 6 GB/s  ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I not conceding anything or claiming that it's even possible to boot from the mSATA slot.  That seems to be your mantra.  If you want to try then go for it and post your results.

BTW---The SATA III 6 Gb/s speed is theoritical and you would be lucky to hit 80% of that number.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hello,

I just came across this thread and noticed how the other person said that this motherboard did not have a m-SATA slot when it clearly shows in the picture so I was wondering how you said that its primary use is only as a chacing function, but I was wondering if it could also be used as a primary drive. Mine has a 16gb, but was wondering if I could install a 1tb and make it a primary bootable device. Would that be possible?

HP Recommended

Two different people other than yourself, responded to the post.  The first person to respond alleged there was no mSata slot, but is clearly wrong as you noticed.

The second person to reply made arrogant and unsupported allegations.

In the end, rather than expeiment at my cost, I purchased a standard 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO and placed it on port zero on a standard SATA slot,  but not in the mSata slot. 

Within a month I learned that there is a systemic defect in the EVO series and hopefully a firmware update will be posted by Samsung very soon.  More about the issue can be seen at:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Samsung-840-840-EVO-susceptible-flash-read-speed-degradation-...

http://www.myce.com/news/samsungs-tlc-nand-840-evo-ssds-affected-by-bug-firmware-update-near-72798/

In your case, it seems you machine is using a 16GB mSATA as cache.   I don't think you can run the mSATA as cache and boot at the same time due to a setting in the BIOS, but I may be wrong.   Also, the mSATA use may preclude your installation of a second SSD in a standard SATA slot.  Again I'm not certain but arrived at this conclusion on my own machine based on the way HP has set up option selections in the online store.  The options didn't allow both.

Good Luck.

HP Recommended

You're right. I feel like sometimes people just guess solutions. But I really hope Samsung is working on a firmware so you can fix your issue with you SSD.

As far as my concern, I contacted HP directly, and actually twice to confirm, and also double checked with a PC repair shop and they in fact told me that I can use the mSATA slot as my default bootable device, that I just have to arrange it in bios as my primary bootable device. But they told me that the 1tb would run around $400 which I already knew. But they also pointed the fact that the boot up time would be the same as I have right now which is pretty fast, that I would just have the extra space which is what I'm looking for.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The Samsung 840 EVO performance restoration software has been posted.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

The needed firmware update has not been posted.  The last firmware update posted for 840 EVO indicates Dec. '13 which predates the recent discovery of the problem and acknowledgement of the problem by Samsung.

HP Recommended

On the speed comparison, maybe, but not likely.

HP Recommended

My appologies.  The update was not placed under firmware updates.  It has it's own category apparently.  Thank you for the information.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I hope the Samsung Restoration software and the embeded BIOS update solves your issues.  I have yet to try this software on my three Samsung EVO SSDs.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.