Lightscribe drive Power Connection (297 Views)
Top Student
TheRealJTweet
Message 1 of 6 (297 Views)
Accepted Solution

Lightscribe drive Power Connection

I haven an HP Pavillion Slimline s5122f. My lightscribe drive stopped working properly. It is unable to achieve proper spin velocity. I bought a new lightscribe drive to replace it. However, when I opened the box of the new drive, I was surprised that the white-cube to input the power cable into (next to the Sata connectors) was not there.<br><br>Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Am I supposed to remove said housing from my current lightscribe drive and put it onto the new drive?<br><br>Please help, thank you.
Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 6 (291 Views)

Re: Lightscribe drive Power Connection

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion Slimline s5122f Desktop Computer. According to the specs, this model came from the factory with a SATA SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology drive. Please see this HP guide entitled "Replacing a CD or DVD Drive" for instructions on replacing the CD/DVD drive.

I am unaware of any SATA drive with a "white-cube to input the power cable into." Please provide the brand and full model number of the drive you purchased, as well as a close-up photo of the back of this drive.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
TheRealJTweet
Message 3 of 6 (283 Views)

Forgive my terminology. I followed your Link, and in the diagrams the "white-cube" is labeled as #1 under "Installing the New Drive".

The drive I purchased (albeit it many months ago) is HP, furthermore the exact same as the defective drive; and there is no "#1" white cube on the one I purchased, whereas there is a "#10 white-cube on my defective one, leading me to think I am supposed to perform some Hardware-graft.

Can anyone clarify this further for me please? Thank you in advance and thank you for trying.
Top Student
TheRealJTweet
Message 4 of 6 (251 Views)

You misunderstand... I know exactly HOW the process ought...

You misunderstand... I know exactly HOW the process ought go, I just don't understand a difference in HARDWARE. The include image features: tThe hard drive I purchase, to the left; and the hard drive that came stock with the pc (right), the now-defective one.
image.jpg
Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 5 of 6 (238 Views)

Re: You misunderstand... I know exactly HOW the process ought...

I am sorry you feel the way you do and think I don't understand. However, I fully understand what you are asking and that is why I requested complete brand names and model numbers of the drives, and close-up photos as well.

Again, referring to the HP "Replacing a CD or DVD Drive" guide for your specific computer, you will notice that "Step 3" shows an image of the back of a CD/DVD drive with a description of each connector;

1 - Eject or control cable (not available for some drives)
2 - Power cable
3 - Data cable

NOTE: Your drive may have three or two cables. The eject or control cable might not be available if the drive does not require the cable.

This image is identical to your original factory drive as pictured in your "side-by-side" photo. Notice that in your photo, both CD/DVD drives have "SATA Data (S1-S7)" and "SATA Power (P1-P15)" connectors. This is all that is needed to use the CD/DVD drive. The semi-optional "Eject or Control cable" connector is used on some HP Slimline models to eject the tray and is connected to the "Eject" button that is directly under the CD/DVD drive. While it would be nice to retain this feature, it is not needed and in your case not available as the new drive doesn't support this option.

To eject the CD/DVD tray without the "Eject" button, left click the Windows "Start ORB" in the lower left of the screen, left click "Computer", right click the "DVD-DW drive", and left click "Eject".

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
TheRealJTweet
Message 6 of 6 (233 Views)

Thank you for clearing up that misunderstanding. Much appreciated. I gave Kudos and have marked this discussion as "Solved".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation