Question

Top Student
Beesleyz
Message 1 of 10 (403 Views)

Lightscribe

[ Edited ]

Here's the background. I have a stand alone CD/DVD duplicator that has 8 Optiarc DVD RW AD-7261S 1.03 LightScribe enabled drives (it's labeled 200+ disks). To use the LightScribe function, I create a LightScribe image on my desktop (doesn't have a LightScribe CD/DVD) using the LightScribe Labeler software. I then burn the LightScribe image file to a blank disk. The duplicator reads it and labels the disks. Last week I was designing a label, and saw the following when I tried to print.

Problem.png

It's never done this before, and I don't really understand what's wrong. I've completely swept all lightscribe software from my pc and reinstalled. I've looked for and installed all the updates I could find. Nothing has worked. I'm running Windows 7 32bit Lenovo ThinkCentre. Any explantion of whats wrong and how to fix it would be appreciated.

This topic probably shouldn't be under hardware.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 10 (395 Views)

Re: Lightscribe

Hi,

Be sure that the CD/DVD device is not behind the Lightscribe drive selection which is showing blank.  If there is nothing there then download and use Imgburn to detect if the drive is even recognized by Windows and whether the drive is still showing Lightscribe capabilities.  Be careful what you click on when installing Imgburn or you will end up with a bunch of software that you may not want.

Imgburn lightscribe.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
Beesleyz
Message 3 of 10 (389 Views)

[ Edited ]

Problem 2.1.png

Imgburn says that the drive is not showing Lightscribe capabilities. I don't think it ever did. My PC doesn't have a lightscribe enabled drive, but the stand alone duplicator does. The PC was only used to create the lightscribe image file. If I need a Lightscribe enable drive on my PC to use Lightscriber Labeler, why has it been working thus far without any problems? How could I get it to work again without buying a drive for the PC?

P.S. If it's helpful to know, the stand alone doesn't have any USB ports or other connect possiblities. Just a power plug.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 10 (381 Views)

Hi,

You don't think that your PC ever had a Lightscribe drive? Perhaps it did and the drive has failed.

I think there is some missing information. How did you get Lightscribe to even create an image if there never was a Lightscribe drive connected to your PC ?  How are you getting the image from your PC to the standalone hardware?

You might try going back to a known good Windows restore point before the issue occurred.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Top Student
Beesleyz
Message 5 of 10 (368 Views)

I have an file named ILY.exe. When it's opened it looks like this: Problem 3.png

I think that's what has set up the driver before. To get the Lightscribe image to the duplicator I'd burn a Lightscribe image file to a disk, and insert the disk into the duplicator which would read the image file from the disk. Once the duplicator read the image I could label up to seven disks at a time. I've done so many re-installations and reboots that I'm not sure I can get to a good restore point. The impression I had is that doing those two things enough would make it impossible to find a good Windows restore point. Maybe I just don't know how to do it right. Sorry about this. It's becoming a big hastle.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 10 (361 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Look at the front of your optical drive that is in your PC. Does it have the Lightscribe symbol?  See the symbol on your first post.

So what happens when you just click on the color symbol when in the Lightscribe system software in your first post?

Top Student
Beesleyz
Message 7 of 10 (334 Views)

[ Edited ]

It definitely does not have the Lightscribe symbol. Clicking the color symbol doesn't do anything. Something interesting to note.

Problem 4.png

It says I have a driver, but doesn't show it when I try to print the label.

When I click "Refresh" it changes the driver from "LightScribe Duplicator Label Writer" to "Drive ID 223 Media ID 124 (X: )". Not sure if that means anything, but I'm hoping this information will shed more light on what the problem is.

Top Student
Beesleyz
Message 8 of 10 (277 Views)

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 9 of 10 (269 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Does your offline equipment have installation software that you could reinstall?  What does your offline equipment system specifications indicate for minimum required hardware?

You could buy a new lightscribe drive for under $30 on eBay

Top Student
Beesleyz
Message 10 of 10 (233 Views)

I have reinstalled all software both from a disk I have, and from online. It has no minium hardware specifications that I can find. The only information I have is what came on the disk ( Lightscribe system software, lightscribe template labeler, Lightscribe Drive Select, Duplicator manual, and a quickstart guide. The manual says nothing about the other computer. Only the duplicator functions. How will buying a drive for my PC help me use my duplicator? As I understand it, the lightscribe software would try to label using the PC drive instead of making a lightscribe image. Or am I wrong? Good chance seeing as I've never used a different setup with lightscribe.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation