Question

Tutor
wrsj77
Message 1 of 5 (452 Views)
Accepted Solution

M2N78-LA (Violet6) upgrade

I was wanting to upgrade my dual core to a quad core,well its hard to find one for this motherboard ,but I was interested in the phenom II X4 960T which is am3 like my board calls for and it meets the wattage requirements which is 95w max tdp but the confusing part is that it isn't listed on the motherboard spec sheet...No T model phenoms are,only the 900e models are listed, but it is the 900 series it meets the requirements,so I call hp and ask them and of coarse they read the same spec sheet I read and says no or maybe ,not for sure and suggest maybe ask AMD well I call AMD and they say it is compatable with that motherboard should I take the chance and buy the processor ?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 5 (429 Views)

Re: M2N78-LA (Violet6) upgrade

Wrsj77, welcome to the forum.

The problem that you may have is that HP changes their motherboards to meet their needs.  This means that the Processors listed are supported for that specific board.  The board directly from the manufacturer may support the Processor that you want install.  This is why AMD says yes.  However, I can't be certain that it will work in the HP board.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 5 (425 Views)

Okay,well how about the phenom II x4 945 will it work fine ?

Tutor
wrsj77
Message 4 of 5 (424 Views)

Or could I change out the board entirely t,o one you guys make, that will support higher end processors

Provost
old_geekster
Message 5 of 5 (401 Views)

Wrsj77, this is a peer to peer help forum.  Therefore, the information that we provide is based on our knowledge, not answering for HP.  With that said, I don't believe that any of the AM3 / Phenon ll processors will work.  Also, if you replace the motherboard, the Recovery Discs won't work.  This is because HP boards are tattoed with the major components of the system.  The discs search for this information before doing the recovery.  You would have to buy a full version of Windows.  You won't have the value-added software, either.

When requesting help, you should always include the make/model of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.  This is for future reference.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!