Question

Tutor
Paulito
Message 1 of 21 (1,810 Views)

M9350F locking up/freezing in games

I've come across a problem with my Pavilion M9350f. About a few weeks after purchasing the unit, I noticed that when playing a game (any graphic intensive game really) that the whole computer will lock up. When I say lock up, I cannot alt+tab or move my mouse cursor and I am forced to do a cold reboot. I think that this is possibly an overheating problem. Does anyone have a solution? I was thinking of upgrading my PSU and adding a good PCI-E cooler for my 9800GT.

Does anyone think that would solve my problem or would I be better off moving my entire components to a new larger case for proper ventilation and cooling? I have the latest drivers for sound, video, bios, etc so I know that is not the problem. I have also run hardware diagnosis and everything is fine. Suggestions are much appreciated, thanks!

-Paul

Teacher
anon
Message 2 of 21 (1,799 Views)

Re: M9350F locking up/freezing in games

A crude but efficient way of eliminating cooling as an issue would be to remove the case side panel and direct the airflow from a desktop fan into the case, onto the card, this would eliminate cooling as a cause if it wasn't. Although I have to say it sounds a bit like cooling really. Are you sure the card's firmware is OK? A friend of mine got his card cheap because the firmware was faulty and wouldn't set the fan above 50% even if it was overheating. Try also speedfan or similar, www.almico.com/speedfan.php, to give you temperature readouts. It should also allow you to set the fans at full blast, see if that helps.

Thanks.

Tutor
Paulito
Message 3 of 21 (1,788 Views)

[ Edited ]

The card is good, firmware is up to date and everything is in working order but the card gets incredibly hot. I use TechPowerUp GPU to monitor temperature and the GPU is getting close to the high 90's to 100 degree C, maybe higher at times. I also use RivaTurner and have the fan speed set at 50%, I don't want to overtax it that's why I keep it at that speed

I have my case open at all times now because of this and I had the same idea about the fan to blow into it, or maybe this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186027&Tpk=9800gt%20cooler

I don't know if it will fit in this case but it seems to be the best cooling option for my card. Any thoughts?

Message Edited by Paulito on 04-15-2009 06:49 PM
Message Edited by Paulito on 04-15-2009 06:52 PM
Teacher
anon
Message 4 of 21 (1,762 Views)

That IS hot, 90-100 C the card should really be shutting down, good to know that's working. Have you modified the PC in any way? If you haven't, you could ask HP to at least provide either a compatabile cooler or money back, there's no way a system should be getting anywhere near that hot in normal use.The cooler looks pretty good, but the reviews...one said it was only designed to work with a 9800gtx, and has to be modded to get it to fit (although one person said 'have a BFG 9800gtx+ but its is the BE version, VGA BFG BFGE98512GTXPOCBE 9800GTX R thats what it says on the invoice. Was scared after buying this cause someone below me left a comment that it didnt fit BFG 9800gtx+, but it did with no problems. Didnt take but 30min or less to install.'); also note the person who said it took up 3PCI slots, 'This thing takes up 3 pci slots in my opinion. 2 for the actual space and another to give this thing a lil room to breathe.' and your case doesn't look enormous. Perhaps a less extreme cooling solution, I'm a little out of my depth here but maybe just another case fan to blow air over it? It looks like the fan's exhaust, maybe its just exhausting into a hot spot so it can't move the air around. Depends where its located in the case. On looking at this page,  http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800gt_us.html, it looks as though the card draws its air in from not outside but inside the case, possibly even quite close to the fan itself. So the hot air, coming out of the fan, gets sucked right back in by the card, so disturbing the air there , stirring it out of the hot spot, could have an effect (if its any of the other sorts of 9800, as it probably isn't, check the back of the PC for heat sources) So yes, I would say buy the cooler if necessary, but only if checking the location of the card for hotspots, possibly installing a case fan to stir the air up there, and contacting HP (a properly designed product, particularly not one that good, should not be doing this), doesn't work, unless you can easily afford the cost. Good specs by the way. Thanks.
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 5 of 21 (1,758 Views)

Need to set fan speed to 100%.  If you cannot get the CPU temp under 60C, then you need to migrate all the electronics to a better case like the Antec 300.  Most HP Gumball machines do not vent well. 
Teacher
anon
Message 6 of 21 (1,813 Views)

Yes, agree if can't cool much migrate. Its better to do that sort of job than fry your stuff. But this just smacks of poor design, it looks like a pretty high-end machine with an awesome graphics card, in such a poor case? Its as though someone's just said 'well, lets stick as many incredibly good parts as possible into an average case, and pray the 2 fans inside it will keep it all together.' But the desktop fan solution worked for a friend, his graphics chip overheated and his computer spent the next six months open with a fan blowing air into it until it got fixed.

RoyalSerpent wrote:
Need to set fan speed to 100%.

Sorry, forgot to mention that being overawed by the awesomeness of the cooler. I'd echo that, its better to possibly slightly shorten the life of a cheap £5 fan than to fry an expensive chip like the 9800.

Tutor
Paulito
Message 7 of 21 (1,734 Views)

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't do much modding, I just removed the TV tuner card and the wireless LAN card because I had no space! I put a PCI-E fan in its place but it hasn't done any good (cheap thing). Ya I think you guys are right about the fan, I'll put it up to 100% and see what happens when gaming. If it blows I'll just get that arctic cooler and be better off lol. But you're right this case is really bad I mean theres no room at all, power supply cables all over the place, 2 fans..jesus. I think I will plan to move it to a better case because it really is a powerful machine and I feel like it's going to waste. I'll report back when I do some game testing with the 100% fan speed
Teacher
anon
Message 8 of 21 (1,717 Views)

Seeing as the card isn't aftermarket, I think HP has something to answer for, doing a case design that bad. Not sure what they'd do but they should be able to be persuaded to either give you a good fan or a better case or some money (possibly up to the value of the card). The PC seems to be unfit for purpose, including a good card seems to kind of imply that you're going to use it. I've googled the name of your product and come up with this result: http://shopper.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-elite-m9350f/4014-3118_9-33108931.html, also lots of others, lots say it overheats, others say it slows down majorly which I think might well be caused by overheating, causing the chips to throttle back, especially as one person said leave it for several hours. Even if HP isn't helpful, move it to a better case definitely. Whoever designed this computer should be shot, its a flawed design. Also a couple of people have said its underpowered, depends on the PSU, one calculator's given 285 watt draw, which means a decent 400W really. So good luck in fixing your system.
Tutor
Paulito
Message 9 of 21 (1,706 Views)

Thanks guys. Anon, I think you're right and I should be compensated for this, it seems like EVERYONE who bought this system has similiar problems. I mean its a very powerful rig but what's the use when I can't even use it to it's potential? Let alone just freezing in simple programs, its ridiculous.

My PSU is a 460watt and HP assured me that it's all I need.. I beg to differ. That PSU alone is really not enough for the 9800 let alone the quad core! I had great hopes for this system but it looks like I will have to move it to a new case (and get a new motherboard since this generic Asus one isn't even sold in stores, I want more expansion slots. Anyone got reccomendations for a new case, mobo, and PSU that will be compatible with my set? Looks like I'm going to dump around 300-400$ to fix this bad boy up.

Tutor
Paulito
Message 10 of 21 (1,667 Views)

Hey guys does anyone know if this is a good combo to move my components over to?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171023

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation