Question
M9350F locking up/freezing in games
Replies (20)

Tutor
Paulito
Message 11 of 21 (999 Views)

Re: M9350F locking up/freezing in games

Welp got my first hard lock up just browsing my desktop, no programs opened at all. Got my fan set at 100% too, unbelievable. I guess I'll try the boxfan idea until I figure out which case I want to move my components too.
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 12 of 21 (991 Views)

The reason that happens is because the card gets too hot. How about trying this.

1) Download the EVGA precision utility and increase the fan speed to at least 50%. With increased fan speed comes increased fan noise. For some people that matters but for me a sgamer it doesn't. I use headphones.

Over 70% C is too hot.

Link: http://www.evga.com/precision/405a.asp

Be sure to signup on EVGA's website for free which only takes a minute and try my link again to download the program in a .zip format

Once you get it installed be sure it always runs and just make sure FAN Speed is NOT set to AUTO and just set it to 60% and try that.

2) Now, I know HP cases don't have the best cooling solution int he world and things get a little hot inside with only an exhaust fan in the back and some ventilationm holes and no intakes fans.

So instead of spending money on a new case, if you have a spare PCI slot buy of these fans that work well to push more ho air out of the system and bring in cooler air.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888112

Hope I helped. :smileyhappy:

Tutor
Paulito
Message 13 of 21 (978 Views)

Thank you corn!

I already purchased a good PCI-E Fan for extra exhaust as well as leaving my case cover open for more ventilation. The lockups continue, once even when I was just doing desktop work and no 3D gaming (i'm primarily a gamer). This left me stumped because I know that the temps were not over 60c 

Thanks for the link, but I use RivaTuner which I use to control the fan speed and have tried everything from 50%-100%. Still freezes, they seem to be coming more often too which is a cause for concern. I figure if things continue down this road I will just get a nice case and a new PSU for some more power to keep all my components happy. Thank you for all your help guys, wish me luck!

-Paul

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 14 of 21 (974 Views)

You can also do Hardware Diagnotics Tests on the computer using the Hardware Diagnostic Tools from the program list under HP i believe.

Run that and test your video card, motherboard, ram and cpu.

Also do stress tests. Also try updating your driver from nvidia.com

Considering you already did that since you're using RivaTuner which is what I also use.

I hope it's not a faulty card.

You can try to take out the pci-e card and use the onboard video temporarily to isolate the problem and see if the system still turns off.

Also make sure you don't overclock too much (not sure if u did overclock at all) using RivaTuner for the Coreclock and MemoryClock as that can cause freezes/restart like it did to me.

So try lowring the clock speeds if u did or leave it on default for a day and see how that runs.

Tutor
Paulito
Message 15 of 21 (971 Views)

Yup I ran the HP hardware diagnostics and it came out 100% fine.

I decided to run some registry cleaners, which found quite a bit of problems and I cleared those up. I also pray the card is not faulty, I learn more towards the PSU being underpowered for this rig more than anything else. 

I may try taking the 9800gt out and trying the onboard video like you said, but that probably won't be sufficiently powerful enough for me to test a 3D game and see if it locks up after 20min or so but I'll see what I can do. I'm going to test some games now after all this tinkering and will update if the problem has been resolved. Thanks again for all the help corn.

-Paul

Professor
1badGuard
Message 16 of 21 (958 Views)

Did you test the video graphics? Did you update the drivers for it?
Tutor
Paulito
Message 17 of 21 (952 Views)

Yup, running latest nvidia drivers. I also disabled physx just to see if it made a difference, it didn't. Everything runs fine and then I am just hit by a random lock up of my entire system. Very strange.
Provost
erico
Message 18 of 21 (941 Views)

Check the Event Viewer in Control Panel -->Administrative tools and look in the system log to see if Windows has listed the cause as hardware or a software issue.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
Paulito
Message 19 of 21 (932 Views)

Erico,

I did a bit of digging and found many WMI errors:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

This looks to be the source of the crashing according to many other users experiencing the same problems I am. Question is if there is an easy fix?

Provost
erico
Message 20 of 21 (927 Views)

WMI is a Windows scripting service. What are you using for an internet protection solution? Norton, ESET or a freebie program?

Unless you are a programmer, I would venture to say that you have a virus / Trojan or malware affecting your PC. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation