Question

Student
CCotD
Message 1 of 1 (304 Views)

M9500Y not working with HP Media Smart Server restore

I'm trying to restore a back up my son did from his HP M9500Y computer to my HP Media Smart Server (EX495) and the restore disk for the Media Smart Server does not recognize the networking gear in the HP M9500Y.  It lists it in the list of Hardware, but it does not obtain an IP address and it does not restore (constantly stating that it cannot locate the Media Server)  This is not the Wireless adapter (wireless is not supported for backup/recovery) but the actual hard wired adapter built into the Motherboard of the HP M9500Y.

I found a post on a Microsoft forum where taking the back up file, opening it up and using the drivers within the back up (there is a particular directory where they are stored in the backup) should work.  This did not work.  The drivers would load but the NIC would not work.

So I purchased a USB 10/100 adapter (there are NO expansion slots in the M9500Y to add another NIC) to use.  This one actually was recognized and received an IP address and see's the actual MediaSmart Server.

The backup though will not restore.  We choose it and it won't restore.

Is there a step I'm missing?   

Thanks in advanced to all those that reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation