Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

hi Dave

The CTO  states  that I need to choose one of the following video cards:

• Radeon HD4350
  • Radeon HD4650
  • Radeon HD5350 (Evora) (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD5570 (1 GB)
  • GeForce GT220
  • AMD Radeon HD4850
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 260
  • ATI Radeon 5770 (1 GB) (Includes 460w active PFC PSU)

it doesn't say anything about GTX 660.

So basically the only reason that the GTX 9xx series will not work is because HP does not support my motherboard anymore. [No other technical reasons?]

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Hi,

There many be several techncial reasons and warranty expiration reasons why HP will not supply a version 8 BIOS for your PC.   You will need to contact HP Support for further assistance for dealing with those issues.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

How about the support for GTX 660. Are you sure it will work with my system even though it is not listed in the link you provided?

HP Recommended

The reality is that there is no guarantee that any particular graphics card will work in any particular PC even if the graphics card works in other PCs or even the same or similar model PCs. Know what the return policy is before you buy.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi there,

You need to firstly update BIOS if possible then install the corresponding graphics card or anything else. As you described, you BIOS is still in the year of 2010, which is extremely old.  After updating BIOS, you may have no problem to proceed on. 

HP Recommended

Okay now I am really confused!

After I read Best Buy Canada return policy [which gives me 14 days to return my purchased GPU]. I decided to go against the advice which I received from this thread and other HP forum.

I bought the Zotac GTX 970 from Best Buy thinking there might be a very small chance it will work, and if it doesn't I will return it!

To my surprise after installing it, It booted up with no problems!! I installed the latest drivers from Zotac website and then rebooted the system, but still no problems!

I ran all 3-DMark benchmarks, more than twice with no problems! [which is about 7 times faster than my ATI hd5770]

Here is my results: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6457066

I played a couple of minutes with divinity: origin sin with ultra graphics at 80 FPS and still no problem!

I also played a couple of minutes with supreme commander2 [2010 year old game] at 60 FPS and still no problem!

I shut off and on my computer about ten times, just to make sure the system is stable and still no problems!!

Here is two pictures from my system information showing that I am running HP BIOS version 6 and the GTX 970!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7325D1B597E8FED5!447&authkey=!APzSFQeV0Il-hfU&v=3&ithint=photo...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7325D1B597E8FED5!446&authkey=!AGmYzz92v2tiaNw&v=3&ithint=photo...

I only have been using it for two days and hopefully I will not run into problems in the future!

So my advice is to check your favorite store for their return policy and then try the GTX 970 yourself! Do not let other HP volunteers/users experience in this forms discourage you from trying it out!

P.s. Do not forget to upgrade your PSU to 500 W. [I upgraded mine from 460 W to Corsair 600 W]

HP Recommended

Hi,

Good show!  The Zotac NVIDIA GTX 970 is documented as being compatible back to PCI-E 1.1.  What did you learn about the ZOTAC NVIDIA GTX 970 as it compares to other PCs running the GTX 970?

BTW--- Read through the forum and you will find that many have tried NVIDIA GTX 9xx graphics cards and they have failed to work in older PCs. So the advice is still valid to to warn posters that the NVIDIA GTX 9xx series will probably not work in their older PCs.  Perhaps you got lucky with the ZOTAC card.  Try the EVGA GTX 970 since you can return it and let others know about your experience with the EVGA card.

HP Recommended

Hi,

based on this discussion I followed Stalledtime to buy a bit cheaper card - nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4GB from GIGABYTE (GV-N960OC-4GD WINDFORCE 2X ) as my original card GeForce GTX460 1GB was obsolate, slow and very noisy

Computer model HP Pavilion Elite HPE CS420, using mobo MS-7613, BIOS version 6.14 from 2010, original 460W PSU HP, cpu intel core i5-750, 4x2GB ram 1066Mhz...

After installing GTX960 in to computer, followed by CMOS reset, whole system boot to Windows without any problems. I alredy played some games like Witcher 3, Far CRy 4 in 1080p at full details with AA. Witcher runs like hell, 7-10x faster compare to GTX460, thus I am very pleased.

Link, with screenshots:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1254x509q90/633/NsxfmW.jpg

@Stalledtime: thanks for  encouragement!
@Dig_Dave: now you can extend you list of supported cards.

HP Recommended

thanks RomanIX

I have a feeling that lots of HP users out there with older BIOS upgrade to GTX 960, 970 and 980 with no problems but we do not hear about it because they don't feel the need to share their opinion!

Only a few people have problems upgrading and we only hear about them because they post trying to find a solution!

Unfortunately, this discourage people who are still on the fence and debating on upgrading!

My GTX 970 is still working great and I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 with no problems.

HP makes great computers but I hope their support improves!

My next computer will definitely be an HP.

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.