MY HP M8100N shuts down after rebooting (2029 Views)
Top Student
Huskerbeth
Message 1 of 15 (2,029 Views)

MY HP M8100N shuts down after rebooting

My HP M8100N shuts down, no power, after booting.  Sometimes it's a minutes, sometimes only a few seconds. The desktop comes up and tries to load the startup programs but most times does not finish and just shuts off.  Do you think this is a power supply issue or something else?

Any help is appreciated.

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 2 of 15 (2,022 Views)

Re: MY HP M8100N shuts down after rebooting

Probably a bad PSU.  Quite a few dead HP PSUs in this forum.  Also make sure that the CPU heatsink is fully seated.  Since you cannot stay in windows for long, there's no way you can scan for baddies.  You could try to boot in SAFE MODE so check for possible sofware problem.
Top Student
Huskerbeth
Message 3 of 15 (2,005 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I did try booting in safe mode and it stayed up for about 5-10 minutes then shut down.  I did run a virus can and it was OK. I'll check the seating on the CPU heatsink, but I'm guessing it's the PSU.

Thanks! 

Grad Student
y2ken
Message 4 of 15 (1,970 Views)

Overheating is also a cause for spontaneous shut downs. 

Wouldn't hurt to open your case and blow out all the dust and debris with a can of compressed air.

You may be suprised with all the tumbleweeds you'll find in there!

Top Student
Huskerbeth
Message 5 of 15 (1,954 Views)

I found out it is NOT the power supply.  I did blow out the inside with some canned air and still had the problem. 

My sons are thinking it is the power switch.  Sometimes when you press the power button, it does nothing.  But after a few times it starts.  

Any thoughts on the power switch being bad?

Beth

Top Student
Huskerbeth
Message 6 of 15 (1,951 Views)

Could this be a problem with the main board?  How can I find out if there is a problem with my main board?  Could something there be causing it to shut down?  It shuts down within a minute or so after booting?  Sometimes not that long.

Beth

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 7 of 15 (1,944 Views)

How do you know that the old PSU is good?  Have you retested with a new PSU?

The power switch is normally open.  Hitting the switch short out the two power pins on the MB.  Once the PC is alive, the switch becomes irrelevant.  If it takes several tries to turn on the PC, or if the PC turn-off after a short time, then the main culprit is the PSU.  Could also be the MB, but that's hard to check without having access to another new MB.

You can buy a good Earthwatts 500 PSU at Staples.  Return the item if it does not work with your PC.

Do a GOOGLE search on Antec SP350 or SP500.  Failure modes very similar to your descriptions.

Top Student
Huskerbeth
Message 8 of 15 (1,942 Views)

Sorry,   Yes, we replaced the Power Supply unit and we are still having the same problem. 

Sometimes you have to push the on-off button several times before it starts. Sometimes it comes all the way up to the desktop before shutting off, sometimes it shut off before it completely loads.  It will shut down shortly even if I boot in safe mode.

I was reading on another forum that it could be a RAM problem.  If the ram is going bad, or one of them is bad, it might do this.

This is maddening...

Beth

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 9 of 15 (1,934 Views)

The switch is not at fault if PC shut-off.  If you have retested with a known good PSU, then the MB is defective.  This is a cheap ECS motherboard with onboard video.  Disconnect the HDD and attempt to access the BIOS.  If the PC will display the BIOS screen for more than 30 minutes, then the CPU is okay.

Burn Memtest86 on a bootable CD and reboot with this disc to test RAM.  Run for 1/2 day.  I think your memory is okay.

Top Student
Huskerbeth
Message 10 of 15 (1,762 Views)

Yes, it was the motherboard.  Called our local computer supply store and gave them the motherboard specs. They had a replacement.  Drove 30 minutes to get it, then back and found out it was not the correct one.  Luckily I had not opened it.  Finally got a new one and everything seems to be running fine.  I updated my virus protection, etc so it seems I'm back to computing. 

Thanks for your help!

Beth

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation